Heads up passengers who have booked flights with TUI from LBA, this was in the Independent ...

Airlines that cancel flights must book seats on rival carriers if they cannot find space on their own flights on the same day, the aviation regulator has said.

Under EU legislation which has been in effect for over a decade, known as Regulation EU261, if an airline cancels a flight – for any reason – stranded passengers are entitled to “re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity”.

But they are not stranded are they as the flight hasn't even taken off.....thats the difference I think.

They are still entitled to their choice of refund or rebooking on a suitable alternative. The airline must offer an alternative routing - for TUI I assume that would be rebooking on one of their flights to the same destination from another UK base.

Q) The airline cancelled the flight ahead of time. Can I insist on an alternative?

Yes. Even if an airline gives you months of notice, the rules are clear about what the firm must offer when it cancels a flight you have paid for: the choice of a refund or alternative flight. If the airline that cancelled the flight does not have a reasonable alternative, then you are entitled to ask it to pay for a seat for you on a different carrier.

(From the Independent)

To answer your point @Offint, that depends on what the law deems as "reasonable". If you are unlucky enough to encounter a diversion for whatever reason the airline has an obligation to get you to your home or destination airport. If this also applies to flights cancelled months in advance then moving passengers to another departure airport wouldn't be acceptable unless Tui are prepared to compensate for the transport to and from the alternative airport.

The carrier always wins. We had our TUI flight from DSA to Ibiza cancelled, we were offered only seats on a flight 48hrs later. We requested we moved back 48 hours to have more not less holiday time, advised we could move back, but pay 30% more, we refused and cancelled.
Accept this was 8 weeks before take off, but TUI had our money for 6 months, when you offer to take the first earlier flight, surely you should not have to pay more. They did not even repay on line, but by cheque which arrived 3 months later.

I'm afraid Tarn Spotter that sort of couldn't care less treatment by TUI seems to typify how they operate their business these days. I fell out with them many, many years ago over something similar and stopped using them. I relented this year which was a big mistake but one which I will not make again.

I couldn't be bothered complaining this year as I had experienced their complaint handling procedures, and the waste of time it was, those many yars ago but I wonder how many people suffer in silence but vow to not use them again? How much lost business do TUI suffer because of their slap-happy and couldn't care less way they run their buiness?

Maybe the answer is that there are quite a few of their customers who fall into that category and that is one of the reasons why they are cutting back their bases and programmes for S19. If so it serves them right and I for one wouldn't be sorry to see them disappear altogether.

Three years ago booked LBA - ABZ on Flybe, cancel flight, offered MAN. I declined and they booked me on Eastern at £150 dearer.

So it does work sometimes.

I'm afraid Tarn Spotter that sort of couldn't care less treatment by TUI seems to typify how they operate their business these days. I fell out with them many, many years ago over something similar and stopped using them. I relented this year which was a big mistake but one which I will not make again.

I couldn't be bothered complaining this year as I had experienced their complaint handling procedures, and the waste of time it was, those many yars ago but I wonder how many people suffer in silence but vow to not use them again? How much lost business do TUI suffer because of their slap-happy and couldn't care less way they run their buiness?

Maybe the answer is that there are quite a few of their customers who fall into that category and that is one of the reasons why they are cutting back their bases and programmes for S19. If so it serves them right and I for one wouldn't be sorry to see them disappear altogether.

So much for so called Teutonic efficency:banghead:

Three years ago booked LBA - ABZ on Flybe, cancel flight, offered MAN. I declined and they booked me on Eastern at £150 dearer.

So it does work sometimes.
Are you referring to Eastern when you say it does work sometimes, lol. No alternatives for LBA - ABZ today though!

Perhaps TUI’s attitude is due to complacency from being the largest tour operator in the UK and believing they’re too big to fail, a dangerous state of mind as other large companies have found to their cost.

I'd be interested to know how many passengers flying out of their largest bases have a similar experience.

Down here at BHX our problem has been them repeatedly announcing new routes only for them to never materialise, or loading new routes into the booking engine for a few weeks and then withdrawing them.

I'd be interested to know how many passengers flying out of their largest bases have a similar experience.

Down here at BHX our problem has been them repeatedly announcing new routes only for them to never materialise, or loading new routes into the booking engine for a few weeks and then withdrawing them.

I think that sort of thing happens more frequently than people think and it demonstrates to me at least that there some serious problems in TUI which need addressing. My recent experiences with them suggest that the left hand hasn't got a clue as to what the right hand is doing.
Changing flight times also seems to be a sport with them too and all too often within a short period of time before flight dates. For example mine were changed three times within a few weeks of departure making what was originally a reasonable arrival time into one which became unreasonable but within the non cancelable category and I have read that a forum post from an EMA passenger who has been treated in a similar fashion for her flight to Crete. This all demonstrates poor planning and a total disregard for the consequences their customers have to endure when such changes take place.

Maybe this is par for the TUI course but these sort of things have got to brass a large percentage of their customers off and discourage them from using TUI again even if they don't complain for whatever reason. Shambles.

Maybe this is par for the TUI course but these sort of things have got to brass a large percentage of their customers off and discourage them from using TUI again even if they don't complain for whatever reason. Shambles.
Interesting because from what I've seen at Cardiff they don't tend to mess about with the schedule that much that I've noticed. I know Cardiff is only a small base and they tend to change things more at Bristol i think.m but with Cardiff they generally stick to the schedule that they've released. Maybe that will change now the base is bigger.

The BRS base sees something similar too although overall it's grown substantially in recent years. You can never be sure that announced new routes will actually happen though.

Interesting because from what I've seen at Cardiff they don't tend to mess about with the schedule that much that I've noticed. I know Cardiff is only a small base and they tend to change things more at Bristol i think.m but with Cardiff they generally stick to the schedule that they've released. Maybe that will change now the base is bigger.

See above comment.

What will the TUI Bristol base look like in 2019? I heard the 757’s will be moving BHX.

:wtf:
All of TUI's 757s are scheduled to leave the fleet by the end of next winter. They are gradually departing and it seems that BRS's two based 757s will be gone from the base by next summer. It appears that they will be replaced by B738s which will mean a base complement next summer of 4 x B738s and a B787-8 five days each week (Cancun x2, Sanford, Cape Verde Sal, Dubrovnik, Larnaca).

Summer 2018 was 2 x 757s, 2 x 738s and a 787-8 four days each week.

I think they would do better if they offered holidays from 5 to 16 nights. They could do this with quite a lot of destinations, especially from the larger bases. The problem may be the hotels inflexibility but Jet2 manage to do it and they use a lot of the same hotels as TUI.

Perhaps TUI’s attitude is due to complacency from being the largest tour operator in the UK and believing they’re too big to fail, a dangerous state of mind as other large companies have found to their cost.
We had a similar situation that we had with TUI with Jet2. Around three years they cancelled all March wednesday flights to malaga. Got an email advising we could either change both flights (or return still stood as not a wednesday) at no extra cost, or cancel with an immediate refund.. Went online just pulled back the outward flight that was actually cheaper, the system recalculated the trip cost and refund the amount due immediately.
This is proper customer service, so different to TUI, who only offered taking the next flight, no alteration on the return and if you dont like you can cancel and we will pay you at our convenience, no on line refund.
I just hope my resolve never to us TUI holds good, I made the same decision never again to use Monarch and was seduced by a very low price, in the end the airline folded before I could use, fortunately I insured against a no flight, but as the airline closure 48 hours before our flight, a bit of a panic to rejig.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

Latest profile posts

My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.
1st time out and about with my camera for 4 months. 15km walked. Right ankle/foot is mot appreciative of what I did

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock