These are flights to feed the cruises around the Med. Clearly Leeds catchment area love to cruise with TUI, and any residual bookings from TUI holidays in destination are a bonus. Because let’s face it - they cannot compete with the lion in her back yard.

I wonder why if they committed to it the passengers were there jet2 proved it with there expansions over the years. Did Doncaster offer a better deal?

I wonder why if they committed to it the passengers were there jet2 proved it with there expansions over the years. Did Doncaster offer a better deal?
That would be a yes (or so I was told by someone in airport management at the time). As they did to put paid to the deal LBA thought they had with Flybe a few years ago.

At the end of the day LBA has kept Flybe, DSA hasn't. The opposite has happened with the Totally Useless Idiots so in effect both LBA and DSA are winners and losers. Both airports would have liked to have kept both for sure but the good thing for LBA is we have Jet2 operating where TUI did, but DSA don't currently have a back fill for most of their Flybe network. I apologise whole heartedly if I offended anyone with my comment of a few days ago re Flybe and DSA. However the facts do tell the story but it's good to see we all remain very passionate about our local airport. They both clearly have a part to play and let's hope this supposed massive news for LBA is imminent as its now nearly three weeks since the original post. We need an extra egg or two in our basket with business routes involved...............

I don’t think it is coming sadly !!
My feeling is the spin we have had is it.
Eating my words would be a happy thing to do if I am wrong.

Ryanair air have their own name for it now TUI have...how confusing for passengers.

These clowns are trying to put lipstick on a pig. We already know they think their customers are expendable, especially when trouble occurs. This is also factually incorrect. 737-8 actually is the designation of the 737-800 ng, not Mad Max. Grinds my gears when tossers like Oliver Lackmann are seen to treat his customers as stupid and with contempt in order to keep his share price up. Great marketing point for Jet2 that they havent got the Mad Max. I bet PM will milk this for all its worth

These clowns are trying to put lipstick on a pig. We already know they think their customers are expendable, especially when trouble occurs. This is also factually incorrect. 737-8 actually is the designation of the 737-800 ng, not Mad Max. Grinds my gears when tossers like Oliver Lackmann are seen to treat his customers as stupid and with contempt in order to keep his share price up. Great marketing point for Jet2 that they havent got the Mad Max. I bet PM will milk this for all its worth
A little unfair, and in fact factually correct, not incorrect.
The 737-8 is the formal name for the MAX. "MAX" like "NEO" is a marketing term. Similar to how Ryanair got stick for "renaming" the aircraft the -8200, TUI are now getting it for "renaming it" the 737-8. The -8200 was in fact the formal name for the MAX8-200 used by EASA since the beginning of the MAX program. See the linked article:
"Other operators of the Max fitted in standard configurations have typically received aircraft with the name '737 Max 8' or '737 Max 9' on the fuselage. There is no immediate indication that customers are moving to adapt these designators, although they could conceivably follow the Ryanair example and use the variants' formal '737-8' or '737-9' identifiers."

FYI, EASA (the European Union Aviation Safety Agency) officially names the 737 models as per below:
“Classic”:
737-100
737-200
737-200C
737-300
737-400
737-500

“Next Generation”:
737-600
737-700
737-800
(737-800BCF)
737-900
737-900ER

“Max”:
737-8
737-9

So TUI calling it a 737-8 is exactly what it has always been officially named.

Why would he? Eventually it's highly probable that Jet2 will order the MAX.

Because he`s a businessman Jerry. He`ll go for every opportunity that presents itself. He`s a smoother version of O`Leary.Thats why his company has grown as it has. I would doubt that Jet2 would go for the Max, whatever its called, he`s tilted towards Airbus in recent months, with the addition of the A321`s. Time will tell though.

A little unfair, and in fact factually correct, not incorrect.
The 737-8 is the formal name for the MAX. "MAX" like "NEO" is a marketing term. Similar to how Ryanair got stick for "renaming" the aircraft the -8200, TUI are now getting it for "renaming it" the 737-8. The -8200 was in fact the formal name for the MAX8-200 used by EASA since the beginning of the MAX program. See the linked article:
"Other operators of the Max fitted in standard configurations have typically received aircraft with the name '737 Max 8' or '737 Max 9' on the fuselage. There is no immediate indication that customers are moving to adapt these designators, although they could conceivably follow the Ryanair example and use the variants' formal '737-8' or '737-9' identifiers."

FYI, EASA (the European Union Aviation Safety Agency) officially names the 737 models as per below:
“Classic”:
737-100
737-200
737-200C
737-300
737-400
737-500

“Next Generation”:
737-600
737-700
737-800
(737-800BCF)
737-900
737-900ER

“Max”:
737-8
737-9

So TUI calling it a 737-8 is exactly what it has always been officially named.

Whatever. But there is nothing fair about trying, however you do it, to pull the wool over his customers eyes. We`ll have to differ though.

I have to speak as I find. We have used TUI and their predecessors Thomson for probably 40 holidays over the past four decades or so (none from LBA as we live in the West Country), originally when our kids were growing up (now in their early 50s). We still use them - went to Lanzarote last December - and I can't remember a time when I had cause for serious complaint. I remember once that the hotel pick-up round at the end of one holiday was ridiculous and caused us to get up unnecessarily an hour earlier than we needed to, but that apart nothing else really comes to mind and that was only a minor inconvenience.

Most of our Thomson/TUI holidays down the years have been with Britannia Airways or their successor airlines, although we've also done several Thomson/TUI holidays to Switzerland when they've used easyJet as their carrier and one to Belgium when they used Brussels Airlines.

@TheLocalYokel problem is TUI/Thomson/Britannia have a tarnished history of operating out of LBA over the years. Especially with flights been diverted over the hill so many times for no apparent reason or routes just being completely chopped before the even started and then sending the passengers to fill up the MAN or even DSA flights.
It was that bad enough we had the Canadian Sunwing aircraft/crews based here at LBA. I lost count how many times our based aircraft disappeared over to DUB due to tech aircraft over there, thus leaving the LBA passengers with no where to go apart from a road trip over the M62 to MAN... You see where I'm going with this?

@TheLocalYokel problem is TUI/Thomson/Britannia have a tarnished history of operating out of LBA over the years. Especially with flights been diverted over the hill so many times for no apparent reason or routes just being completely chopped before the even started and then sending the passengers to fill up the MAN or even DSA flights.
It was that bad enough we had the Canadian Sunwing aircraft/crews based here at LBA. I lost count how many times our based aircraft disappeared over to DUB due to tech aircraft over there, thus leaving the LBA passengers with no where to go apart from a road trip over the M62 to MAN... You see where I'm going with this?
I'm aware of the relationship (or lack of it) between Thomson/TUI and LBA down the years, and I can understand the intense frustration and annoyance of people who might have wanted to use them at LBA. However, the recent criticism in some posts in this thread appears to be a general condemnation of TUI, whether driven in part by the LBA experience down the years I don't know.

I have no particular love for TUI or its airline which is the case with any airline with me. I used to have an interest in the group in that when Thomson Travel floated on the London Stock Exchange in 1998 I purchased some shares which I held until Preussag AG, later renamed TUI AG, bought the company a few years later.

I use an airline if it ticks the most boxes for me at any particular time for any particular journey/holiday. With IT holidays it just happens that Thomson/TUI came top for a lot of the time over the past 40 years when we wanted that type of holiday, and the experiences with them that I outlined earlier did nothing to make me want to avoid them in the future.

I accept entirely that others might have had contrary experiences with them. I just set out my own. I might have been lucky.

As a customer my measure of any company is how it performs when things go wrong. There will be many TUI customers who are more than satisfied with them and have never experienced problems but it does seem that when things go pear shaped they are often severely lacking.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock