To be honest, for me it would be much more valuable to have a KLM service to the likes of Brussels, Paris, Germany, Madrid than most long haul routes (besides perhaps NYC/Dubai).

Would be interesting if theres scope to add a third air bridge since if we say added three daily flights to Brussels and Paris would 2 be sufficient?

Was with another couple of driving instructors on low lane this morning and as a klm flew over us the subject of LBAs new terminal came up in conversation. My blood started to boil by the total negative comments they were coming out with, do these people never fly and wonder why they have to travel to MAN! I thought im not having this so in a way told them straight with points such as why should leeds have an airport like it currently is, only 2percent of pollution is from aviation etc etc. Really does my head in!!:vomit:

Please move if in the wrong thread but I was just browsing social media and it seems the anti airport crew have arranged a protest outside the civic hall on thursday, just before the planning committee hear the expansion plans. everyone can have there opinion of course let's hope the council/planning committee can see through this, use there common sense and get the ball rolling on the expansion.

Please move if in the wrong thread but I was just browsing social media and it seems the anti airport crew have arranged a protest outside the civic hall on thursday, just before the planning committee hear the expansion plans. everyone can have there opinion of course let's hope the council/planning committee can see through this, use there common sense and get the ball rolling on the expansion.
Which planning application is scheduled for determination on Thursday? The new terminal and associated works were only announced within the past week or so, weren't they?

Which planning application is scheduled for determination on Thursday? The new terminal and associated works were only announced within the past week or so, weren't they?

It isn't being determined Local Yokel. It is a pre planning meeting where LBA explain their plans and intentions to the council in advance of the formal submission being made at a later date. Before that there will be the usual round of public consultations, the usual NIMBY protests to contend with and the usual outspoken MPs who put the objections of the few ahead of the beneficial affect for the many. I understand that the formal planning submission won't be made until later in the year. I think I saw September mentioned.

I'm not sure to be honest local yokel. But this person is drumming up support asking people to join in bringing placards and posters at 12.30 thurs 30th jan. It's on a post on lba's twitter feed

It isn't being determined Local Yokel. It is a pre planning meeting where LBA explain their plans and intentions to the council in advance of the formal submission being made at a later date. Before that there will be the usual round of public consultations, the usual NIMBY protests to contend with and the usual outspoken MPs who put the objections of the few ahead of the beneficial affect for the many. I understand that the formal planning submission won't be made until later in the year. I think I saw September mentioned.
I'm not sure to be honest local yokel. But this person is drumming up support asking people to join in bringing placards and posters at 12.30 thurs 30th jan. It's on a post on lba's twitter feed
Many thanks. I knew it couldn't be for the major new terminal plans because of timescale. I wondered if something else at the airport was also seeking planning consent.

I hope that when LBA does submit its formal planning application it's handled quicker than the authorities deal with such matters down here. In December 2018 BRS submitted a planning application for infrastructure expansion to allow it to handle up to 12 mppa with a further request to have its current 10 mppa planning consent cap raised. Only today has a planning committee determination date been announced - 10 February which is 14 months after the application was lodged. As with LBA, opposition is widespread with all sorts of demonstrations having taken place in and outside the airport with major roads closed, as well as around the city.

With the North Somerset Unitary Authority now run by a 'Rainbow' council dominated by Lib-Dems, Independents and Greens I will be amazed if the planning application is approved. That would doubtless lead to an airport appeal to the Planning Inspectorate which would take another year and probably longer to determine.

I'm watching the LBA situation unfold with great interest.

In terms of the dft figures suggesting 7m pax by 2030 is that based on the current infrastructure at LBA? How can they predict this amount with the current terminal. I remember a few years ago on the news Bridgepoint were predicting 18 million in 10 years...what happened to that figure or are these numbers just plucked out of the air?

In terms of the dft figures suggesting 7m pax by 2030 is that based on the current infrastructure at LBA? How can they predict this amount with the current terminal. I remember a few years ago on the news Bridgepoint were predicting 18 million in 10 years...what happened to that figure or are these numbers just plucked out of the air?
To answer your first point, the figure of 7m was the initial prediction which included the unbuilt terminal extension. That figure was thought to be way off the mark since the airport carried out new passenger flow tests.

I'm not sure 18m was ever quoted at any point. I think the DFT might have quoted 12m in its White Paper but that study was well over a decade ago now. Purely on the basis of available airfield space alone I couldn't ever imagine LBA handling over 12m even if the airport was allowed to develop unrestricted. Personally I think LBA could reach between 9m and 10m but again that would likely be its upper limit.

Crutially for now at least, the new terminal enables growth in passenger numbers to 7m which is what the airport already have approval for. This is why they say they're NOT getting bigger in their promotional video.

We could always put our point across by closing the M62 for the day. We're not that stupid though.

Hopefully common sense will prevail but I wont hold my breath though when LCC is involved. They have seriously let North West Leeds down year after year.

So for any greenies out there who remain hell bent on saving the planet, can I suggest you channel your efforts on Bangkok. You will soon realise that any expansion of LBA is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things when you look at the choked and polluted atmosphere in somewhere like Bangkok. It is not alone, but you need to look at the bigger fish that need frying

But they know full well that if they take to the streets of Thailand and China to protest they’re not likely to return!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock