LBAspotter I refer to my earlier post.

LBA needs to be more transparent with it's customers.

Recent research suggests there are three primary aspects of transparency relevant to management practice: information disclosure, clarity, and accuracy.[1] To increase transparency, managers actively infuse greater disclosure, clarity, and accuracy into their communications with stakeholders. For example, managers that voluntarily share information related to the firm's ecological impact with environmental activists are demonstrating disclosure; managers that limit the use of technical terminology, fine print, or complicated mathematical notations in their correspondence with suppliers and customers are demonstrating clarity; and managers that do not bias, embellish, or otherwise distort known facts in their communications with investors are demonstrating accuracy. The strategic management of transparency therefore involves intentional modifications in disclosure, clarity, and accuracy to accomplish the organization's specific objectives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparen ... ehavior%29

lbaspotter said:
Aviador said:
I can appreciate the points raised with regards to the airport needing the additional funds to expand and it must be a mammoth task for the number crunchers to raise income for the airport business. Unfortunately the points raised don't do anything to alter the perception of the airport by the flying public. During continued periods of austerity when the majority of people on this forum of working age will be lucky to receive a 2% pay rise this year, a 50% hike in pick-up and drop-off fees seems excessive to say the least.

So Aviador how would you cover the airports estimated £20 million yearly operating costs without losing any flights or having to put up the car parking prices? As I'm sure the airport owners would listen and be open to new idea's...
hi both
I wonder how Newcastle airport covers operating costs,and makes a profit??
last figures on line profits up from £16.9million to £18.74 million
£14 million spend on departure lounge
car park charges
£1 drop off and pick up 0-10mins
£3 -------------------------10-30mins
£4.50----------------------30-45mins
regards
sm1

NCL has been operating way ahead of LBA in terms of flight numbers, destinations and passenger numbers for as long as I have been following civil aviation - so back to the 60s. As an airport therefore it has had years of steady income from a very loyal passenger base. For years they had very little in the way of major developments to carry out, so were able to recover the money laid out when they had developed the terminal over the years.

In terms of landing fees, they have had BA for many years and in more modern times, Emirates and their 777s. Airlines such as Thomson, Thomas Cook and various others have been a permanent presence. Their income is likely to be significantly greater than LBA so their need to charge the same level of parking fees will be less, despite their recent capital expenditure. They do £3 for 30 minutes, like LBA - the difference is that they only charge £1 if you are straight in and out and you can be sure that if they need a bob or two extra, they will increase the charges as they see fit. You haven't mentioned if NCL provides a free drop off zone within 250 metres of the terminal though? LBA does.

NCL may be a regional airport, but it has many years start on LBA and with more flights, major carriers and passengers it is not a fair comparison. In fact, given the fact that LBA is playing catch up on virtually every other regional airport, there probably isn't another airport that you can directly compare at this time.

1 hour free car park

I notice that the tall hedge and other overgrown greenery, forming the boundary with Whitehouse Lane, has been pruned down to waist height. This transformation is remarkable and lone persons using the one hour free facility must feel more confident and secure.

There are other areas around the Long Stay parking where the same treatment would benefit the public and staff alike.

Barnsley Holidays

Something added to YouTube recently.
The bus shelters for the car park shuttle buses.

Nice but we have that old seating problem again. Do you hear us LBA ? It may seem a little pickie of me but persons with reduced mobility can't necessarily stand for very long.

Even though the shelter and free car park bus service is supplied for the benefit of its passengers, honestly it really doesn't not matter what they do, As the will always be something wrong or to complain about!

I'm not complaining, it's just an observation and I can't believe LBA hasn't considered #PRMcustomers here.

with building work commencing on the new car park near the pub, can anyone tell me if the car park will be used for the general public/passengers or is it staff only?

Think White Heather pointed out the other day that it's going to be another public car park (called: Vyking) owned & run by the airport in direct competition with Sentinel whom are sited on other side of road.

It's going to be 'meet and greet' style parking. ie you drop your car off and get a shuttle bus to the terminal and someone parks your car up. Then, when you get back you collect your keys and on your way.

Think White Heather pointed out the other day that it's going to be another public car park (called: Vyking) owned & run by the airport in direct competition with Sentinel whom are sited on other side of road.

It's going to be 'meet and greet' style parking. ie you drop your car off and get a shuttle bus to the terminal and someone parks your car up. Then, when you get back you collect your keys and on your way.

Didn’t LBA oppose the sentinel expansion a few years ago? Now they themselves expand and replicate the same operation?

Sentinel was operating illegally at the time which is why LBA opposed them. Leeds City Council ruled in favour of allowing Sentinel to continue operating as it had been running for several years.

Sentinel was operating illegally at the time which is why LBA opposed them. Leeds City Council ruled in favour of allowing Sentinel to continue operating as it had been running for several years.

Yes I am sure that was LBA's main concern ;)

Well the saying goes! if you cant beat them you might as well match them at the own game....
They say competition is good for the consumer, but as we've just seen in the battle between Flybe/Eastern and Loganair it doesn't always work like that.
To be fair whatever profit LBA make next summer from this new car park David Laws has been quoted as saying that the company will reinvest it towards Terminal flip over next winter.

Last edited:
my self and our son and daughter always use sentinel they are very good at what they do.

I would agree. I always use them as well. Certainly cheaper, more efficient, and I think actually faster from car to terminal then the airport run long stay car park.

Good to see this competition, but unless it offers something significantly better than sentinel I will be staying with them.

I think that anyone who uses Sentinel regularly will stick with them. Their service is superb and until it is not, I will keep on using them.
Having said that, now I have a Senior Railcard, I always check whether it is possible to use the train. Usually it is only possible one way unless you use a flight on a 'W' leg in the middle of the day.

I will be another one who stays with Sentinel. Been using them for years and their service is second to none. Because of a very early flight last September I had to overnight near the airport and on going to the car at 0430 the next morning I found a flat tyre. As I always carry a compressor with me I pumped it up and drove to Sentinel and asked them to get it fixed for me while I was in Greece. A couple of e-mails near the end of my stay confirmed that they had replaced the tyre (it was punctured on the shoulder so non repairable) and would be waiting for me on my return. No charges except for the new tyre which was also reasonably priced and all done with a smile.

The airport parking options have never been able to compete on price and I doubt they would get me out of trouble in the same way Sentinel did either.

Not strictly true Aviador. Yes, they were operating illegally but Leeds Council rejected their application and it went to appeal. It was whoever dealt with the appeal that overturned the decision and gave approval to continue trading. This had the affect of reducing demand (through competition) for LBA parking and was, to some degree, responsible for the increase in the car park drop off fees outside the terminal - to cover the lost parking revenue. The situation was worsened by the same thing happening with a 2nd car park operator inside the old Avro factory.

Personally I don't use the car parks at LBA as I live only a couple of miles away, but if I did, I would opt for the airport car park as I would rather pay slightly more and know the profit is likely to be reinvested into the airport development, than pay slightly less and the profit go to a private enterprise who are making money on the back of the airport operation.

sentinel pay the airport every time one of there buses goes through the barrier into the drop off area,doncaster still give you 15mins free for drop off and collection.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock