You are right, its not credible that MME will be more profitable than LBA. Something strange going on here.

Here's my old local rag's interpretation - British Airways and Emirates at Teesside! And an airport that could fill T3's E70 easily has nothing - i.e. LBA - a BA Franchise would be ideal but I guess would take more time. Honestly when we flew MME to LHR last September it was more akin to Victor'a Woods "We'd Quite Like to Apologise' - surly staff (as many as the number of passengers it seemed but there was a pandemic on) and overzealous security as they had nothing else to do! I'm speechless!

Knowing the area as I do - the earth will have been promised and the passenger numbers simply won't have materialised! However they could have dons some smart things on the LHR service like baggage allowance and code share.

You are right, its not credible that MME will be more profitable than LBA. Something strange going on here.
Very strange indeed. Surely any demand for long haul connectivity won’t be back possibly for the rest of 2021.

Will Loganair be willing to take 9-12 months of very poor performance on what must be a costly route to run?

Very strange indeed. Surely any demand for long haul connectivity won’t be back possibly for the rest of 2021.

Will Loganair be willing to take 9-12 months of very poor performance on what must be a costly route to run?

Passengers also connect onto short haul flights at LHR. Given the minimal network from MME, and with only 50 seats to fill per flight, there's no reason it shouldn't work.

Did Eastern have any codeshares?

Passengers also connect onto short haul flights at LHR. Given the minimal network from MME, and with only 50 seats to fill per flight, there's no reason it shouldn't work.

Did Eastern have any codeshares?
Very true, but many short haul destinations are also available via Amsterdam without the change of terminal.

I just can’t see this working for many reasons unfortunately. If it does, surely it just takes away from the KLM service?

Pre covid it really depended on which alliance you were connecting in to in terms of whether you had to change terminal. Ideally with T3/LM going in to T2 they would have a codeshare agreement with star alliance since you would stay in T2. With a oneworld codeshare agreement it would mean connecting from T2 to T3/5 by airside bus which is frequent. I think I prefer this kind of layout versus the AMS mega-terminal with the every long walk, but some prefer AMS.

I guess my point is there are lots of people connecting domestic to short haul every day at LHR so it is an important market, especially if you serve MME where direct options from MME or nearby NCL could be limited.

How long LM stay around on MME LHR May be more about how much money MME are throwing LMs way and for how long. But has has been said with only 50 seats per flight to fill it could just work. With a 50 seat a/c from LBA no reason why that couldn’t be occupied all day with up to 4 rotations. Increased frequency would in itself increase pax appeal and at that sort of frequency is very similar to the 1/2 daily that BA last operated on bigger a/c but with poor timings. But I still don’t see LBA as being on LMs radar so whilst an ideal time to talk to T3 I am not sure they are right for the route with limited baggage allowance and no codeshares. It doesn’t take away any of the frustrations we have for LBA though

but many short haul destinations are also available via Amsterdam without the change of terminal.

The same is true for LBA, so why all the angst about MME getting a service to LHR "which definitively won't work without loads of money being thrown at it" yet "its preposterous LBA doesn't have a service to LHR"?

Personally I'm very keen for all airports in our region to thrive, as long as its not at the expense of LBA. I hope the MME-LHR route does well as its no threat to LBA. Having said that it would be interesting to know why LM chose MME over LBA. I cant see the local authority there offering a substantial incentive to LM, tax payers wouldn't stand for it so there must be more to this than speculation on the forum suggests.

What about TUI @White Heather and there 787 to some long haul destinations? Orlando, Cancun and Dominican Republic would definitely sell well from Yorkshire?

I think Jet2 will expand a bit more tbh. I'd love loganair to make an appearance offering regional connectivity.

I honestly think once we have new facilities in place and then anything is possible and we shouldn't rule anything out.
That won't stop the speculation that has already started and will, quite naturally, get more intense as time passes. It might even stop a ertain member talking about lengthening the runway. Not.

I suppose that now we have got the go ahead for the terminal, there is nothing to stop them trying to firm up some new operators and routes with a view to starting once the new terminal is open.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock