#mPlay have pulled slots from MAN & BHX so I guess no UK expansion inc LBA
How does pulling slots at MAN and BHX translate into no UK expansion including LBA, unless they have pulled the LBA slots too? Have they?

My understanding was that they applied for slots at several airports but would only start ops (in 2023) from one when they had additional Airbus aircraft delivered, and the crews recruited to fly them. That one airport could be LBA if the slots are intact. If not, then you may be correct.

LBA themselves have said several new carriers are wanting to operate from here, but it was more likely to be 2024 before it happened. Airbus are struggling to deliver orders on schedule, and that might be delaying Play's expansion programme. #Play

Play have also pulled their slot notification for LBA for the summer. Confirming the above, MAN and BHX have also gone - it looks like they have concentrated the growth capacity they have into Denmark on the one hand and Toronto Hamilton on the transatlantic side of the equation. They also have the not-insignificant challenge on their plate of needing to reach year-round profitability.

I suspect LBA will happen for them some day, but doesn't look like that will be in 2023.
#Play #Transatlantic

The point being made though that just because they pulled slots from the main airports doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t expand at other airports.

I think it’s been mentioned on here before any new operators we get would be likely to operate in 2024 not 23.

Play have also pulled their slot notification for LBA for the summer. Confirming the above, MAN and BHX have also gone - it looks like they have concentrated the growth capacity they have into Denmark on the one hand and Toronto Hamilton on the transatlantic side of the equation. They also have the not-insignificant challenge on their plate of needing to reach year-round profitability.

I suspect LBA will happen for them some day, but doesn't look like that will be in 2023.
#Play #Transatlantic
Sounds like this was never really going to happen and was all just a bit of Play-acting!!

Sounds like this was never really going to happen and was all just a bit of Play-acting!!
They were looking actively at additional UK destinations as recently as early December and LBA was firmly in that mix. Something has since diverted that focus to Denmark - perhaps fears around the UK exchange rate for outgoing visitors to the USA or around the health of the UK economy, but I'm speculating as to why the change of direction.

They were looking actively at additional UK destinations as recently as early December and LBA was firmly in that mix. Something has since diverted that focus to Denmark - perhaps fears around the UK exchange rate for outgoing visitors to the USA or around the health of the UK economy, but I'm speculating as to why the change of direction.
Or Denmark was always the priority, and the UK has been put on ice due to delays in delivery if their additional aircraft from Airbus?

Or Denmark was always the priority, and the UK has been put on ice due to delays in delivery if their additional aircraft from Airbus?
Anything is possible, but I genuinely don't think this was the case. They hadn't applied for slots at the Danish airports in the initial slot round and I can't see that this was their original plan. It looks to be that something shifted their focus from the UK to Denmark - not just away from LBA, but much more generally - and I am guessing (and it is a guess) that it's the UK's macro-economic outlook.

LBA was certainly under serious consideration by the airline - and without reporting private conversations, the source of that information could not possibly be any more credible.

Anything is possible, but I genuinely don't think this was the case. They hadn't applied for slots at the Danish airports in the initial slot round and I can't see that this was their original plan. It looks to be that something shifted their focus from the UK to Denmark - not just away from LBA, but much more generally - and I am guessing (and it is a guess) that it's the UK's macro-economic outlook.

LBA was certainly under serious consideration by the airline - and without reporting private conversations, the source of that information could not possibly be any more credible.
Well let's hope the focus does shift back to the UK and LBA in 2024, which would tie in with the comments made by LBA management.

I wonder if Sofia in Bulgaria could be on the cards for our next winter ski destination as it seems to be getting a popular destination for winter sports enthusiasts?

It's a destination currently served by a Wizz Air base and they use to operate it from Doncaster-Sheffield year-round 2x weekly. Jet2 seem operate charters from its Belfast Int'l, Bristol, East Midlands, London Gatwick, Manchester & Newcastle bases.
Meanwhile Ryanair operate into there from Bristol, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Liverpool & London Stansted.

On map of UK airports Leeds/Bradford would seem to be the next logical step in my book, especially if they can get a tour operator like Bulkan Holidays, Crystal Ski or Inghams Ski onboard.

Last edited:
I wonder if Sofia in Bulgaria could be on the cards for our next winter ski destination as it seems to be getting a popular destination for winter sports enthusiasts?

It's a destination currently served by a Wizz Air base and they use to operate it from Doncaster-Sheffield year-round 2x weekly. Jet2 seem operate charters from its Belfast Int'l, Bristol, East Midlands, London Gatwick, Manchester & Newcastle bases.
Meanwhile Ryanair operate into there from Bristol, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Liverpool & London Stansted.

On map of UK airports Leeds/Bradford would seem to be the next logical step in my book, especially if they can get a tour operator like Bulkan Holidays, Crystal Ski or Inghams Ski onboard.
Persuading existing carriers to fill gaps in the airports days should be just as important as attracting new carriers.

Persuading existing carriers to fill gaps in the airports days should be just as important as attracting new carriers.
Bulgaria is a very good suggestion. Strange that Balkan never seem to make

Balkan Holidays announced ski flights to Sofia for 2010/2011 but cancelled from their second edition brochure around August 2010. So maybe its about time to try it again.

Last edited:
From late Spring, Virgin are axing their two routes from Heathrow to Pakistan (Islamabad and Lahore). That leaves just one direct flight from the UK to Pakistan, that being BAs flight from LHR to Islamabad .

How times change. Until PIA resume using their own aircraft, there's that one route, or you have to travel via the likes of Istanbul.

There are opportunities for any airline that want them - but clearly nobody does, suggesting that no matter how many bums on seats they get, the yields are insufficient to justify operating.

LBAs chances of getting the route back seem remote when the likes of MAN, BHX, EDI, GLA etc. don't have any services at all either. They are sure to be ahead of LBA in the queue if PIA recommence ops to the UK. You have to now wonder if LBA will ever see the ISB route again given how few airlines are equipped or willing to fly non stop to Pakistan from the UK..

Does EDI/GLA have a large Pakistani population? I wasn't aware of them having so.

I believe that this could well be the moment that Pakistani population look at alternative methods of travel which therefore will see carriers succeed. The likes of Turkish Airlines, Emirates, Etihad and Qatar all could easily mop up the thirst to travel to Pakistan. This is where Turkish could easily get one up on the other three with their availability of narrow-bodies currently in their fleet (207) plus 68 with Anadolu Jet (all economy) they could quite easily take the transfer market from the likes of LBA/London/ Manchester/Birmingham to not only Pakistan but India and so on.

I know I sound like a parrot but I genuinely am of the belief that Turkish Airlines or its Lower cost Anadolu Jet would be a fantastic and welcome addition to Leeds.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock