• Admin
The Weather Thread
LATEST.jpg
pexels-pixabay-53459.jpg
Discussions about weather...

Last edited:
The winds blowing from the south again also so with the runways at Heathrow running East - West, they wind will be going directly across

2013-12-27

Widespread gales are likely to develop across the area late on Thursday evening and last much of Friday. The worst of the winds are likely to transfer across northwest Wales and much of northern England during the day on Friday bringing gusts of 60 to 70 mph widely with locally 80 mph gusts affecting west coasts and high ground for a time.

The public should be prepared for disruption to transport and power supplies.
Another deep area of low pressure now developing over the Atlantic will bring another spell of very windy weather across the UK as it tracks northeastwards, crossing northern Scotland during the second half of Friday. To the south of the low pressure centre, a swathe of severe gales is likely to cross northwest Wales and much of northern England. The worst of the winds should ease on Friday evening.

Source: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... ionName=yh

Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow will develop during Saturday before clearing during the evening. The snow will be mainly confined to higher ground above about 150 metres where accumulations of several centimetres are possible. There may be temporary slight slushy deposits at lower levels in any heavier precipitation. The situation is finely-balanced and there remains considerable uncertainty regarding the extent of any snow. Hence the public should watch for further updates to this warning.

The public should be aware of possible travel disruption.
A complex depression is likely to run northeastwards across the UK on Saturday. As the associated frontal system encounters colder air across northern Britain, the rain is likely to turn to snow at least on higher routes. Any heavy precipitation could bring wet snow down to lower levels. Computer models are still giving differing indications regarding the location of the main snow risk hence there is greater than usual uncertainty over these developments. Therefore the public should keep up to date with the latest forecasts.

More details available here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

Possible SNOW disruption at some northern UK airports tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it after the mild winter we have had so far.

Because the Jetstream is so far south this winter the south of the country, particularly South West England and South Wales, has borne the brunt of the storms and gales which normally affect areas further north, albeit perhaps not in such profusion as this winter.

We've had yet more gales in recent days in the West Country especially the latter part of Saturday and overnight into Sunday. More are promised for Wednesday.

I can't remember BRS being affected so much by wind leading to diversions and cancellations. It's usually the fog and mist that are the problem. Much of the strong wind and gales have come from the south creating excessive cross winds on BRS's east-west runways. In recent days though the winds have been more south-westerly and there have been few problems re diversions/cancellations as presumably the cross-wind component was lessened. I certainly expected diversions on Saturday evening but there had been none up to 2230 hours when Match of the Day beckoned.

BBC News this afternoon was forecasting Wednesday's gales more southerly backed so fingers crossed that the airport is not affected seriously.

Well it looks like the jetstream is on the move back North with the eye of the latest storm heading towards Northern England.

The UK Met Office have issued amber weather warnings for severe gales with potential for hurricane storm force 12 winds on western coastlines. Reports suggest it's going to be the strongest storm of the winter for the UK so far.

2014-2-12

Source

A vigorous area of low pressure is expected to move northeastwards across northern parts of the UK later on Wednesday, clearing eastwards early on Thursday. This is likely to be accompanied by a swathe of southwesterly gales across many areas which may be severe in places. Winds will veer more westerly later on Wednesday.

A first peak in the winds is likely over southern and southwest England around the middle of Wednesday but with the main swathe of even stronger and potentially damaging winds crossing parts of Wales then northern England later in the day.

The public should be prepared for the the risk of disruption to transport and possibly also power supplies. In addition, large waves are likely to affect some coasts.

Met Office update: RED WARNING issued

During this afternoon a swathe of exceptionally strong winds is expected to affect western parts of Wales and then some northwestern parts of England this evening, particularly in coastal areas. Winds are expected to gust 80 mph widely and possibly reach 100 mph in the most exposed locations in west and northwest Wales.

Winds of this strength can cause widespread structural damage, bringing down trees and also leading to loss of power supplies. In addition, large waves are likely to affect some coasts. The public should take action to alter their travel arrangements during this spell of storm force winds.

2014-2-12

Source: UK Met Office

Our usual fare this winter around Bristol has presented itself again this morning. It's been wet with very heavy continuous rain in the past hour or so.

The winds have been in evidence yet again, very strong but now appear to have increased. Thus far all traffic seems to have landed at BRS until the past 15 minutes. FlightRadar24 is showing an easyJet A320 from Malaga and a Ryanair B738 from Gdansk holding overhead in a circuit pattern but the Ryanair has just broken off and headed north, presumably for BHX.

Addendum (1310 hours 12.2.14)

The easyJet A320 from Malaga has now diverted to CWL after completing numerous circuits overhead BRS. An easyJet A319 from Geneva has also diverted to CWL.

Can't find the wind gusts component for BRS currently but at Filton southerly gusts are showing this lunchtime 50 knots-plus which would be at right angles to the BRS east-west runways.

Power cut here, great. :nea: See if the mobile phone is still working!
Thelocalyocal - try all met sat website. I think there's a link from the linkbar at the top right.

The wind was such today that the Clifton Suspension Bridge had to be closed for a while - reportedly the first time in 150 years although I wonder if such records are really kept.

It looks as though the weather will be improving this week. The hottest day of the year may be coming on Friday.

Gales, and more locally severe gales, are expected to affect much of the country on Tuesday. Whilst Monday night will see wet and windy conditions sweeping eastwards, the strongest winds are expected to occur after the rain clears and winds veer northwesterly through Tuesday morning. Gusts exceeding 55 mph are likely inland, with 60 to 70 mph gusts in some exposed coastal areas in the west and possibly to around 80 mph around coasts in northern Scotland.

For up to date information visit the Met Office website.

image.php

Snow chaos at Leeds Bradford Airport by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports

Various newspapers have mentioned the long range weather forecast today. Forecasters are predicting a colder than average winter with a higher chance of snow apparently. We've heard it all before though. The Express and Daily Mail seem to make it an annual event with headlines predicting cold winters and hot summers to attract extra sales. Having said that having done some research today, the various computer models used around the world are coming up with the same conclusion. So we maybe heading for a cold and snowy winter after all so maybe a little hill fog is the least of our worries?

The above mentioned reports of an extra cold winter ahead it does make you wonder if they could be right this winter with the amount of cold snowy weather currently in the US.

_65799604_65798739.jpg

Picture: BBC

Well so far the weather doom mongers have got it completely wrong with the long range forecast. As for the more short term weather forecast BBC weather forecasters are predicting another spell of stormy weather is heading towards the UK for Wednesday into Thursday. The storm is expected to bring severe gales and snow on it's northern edge.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock