• Forums4airports Statement re: Covid-19 after Prime Minister, Boris Johnson's address to the Nation at 20:30 on Monday, March 23rd 2020 Please be aware of the latest measures implemented by the UK Government this evening, It is now advising all persons to stay at home due to the COVID-19 outbreak. PLEASE we ask, with any movements due in the next few weeks to your local Airport, Military base or local airfield, that you DO NOT attend that airport, military base or airfield, no matter how special it maybe. No aircraft is worth your health, your families health and all those around you. Those aircraft will come back we are sure, so please, adhere to the Government's advice and stay at home. We wish every single one of our members, your families and loved ones the very best for the next few weeks and months ahead. Please, please do your bit to Help the NHS and all emergency services. Site Admin and Moderator Team

Leeds Bradford - General Thread

Advertisement

paully

Jan 22, 2018
Dewsbury
What he`s actually saying is that the Government will only act as the lender of last resort, not the first. He`s told them, quite rightly, to seek assistance from their funders and shareholders and only when all avenues have been exhausted will the government step in. I think that is sensible and it throws down the gauntlet to people like Walsh and Branson not to mention Easyjet who paid out £170m in dividends before holding out the begging bowl.

As to airports, sorry but many on here will not like this, but there is a thought stream and most likely in Government too, that there are too many airports in the UK, as it is. Some will inevitably go to the wall. The Dept of Transport will already have a list.

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
As to airports, sorry but many on here will not like this, but there is a thought stream and most likely in Government too, that there are too many airports in the UK, as it is. Some will inevitably go to the wall. The Dept of Transport will already have a list.
I've seen that argument put out before that the country only really needs Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, a Scottish central belt airport, Aberdeen, Inverness, Belfast and Newquay

stars&sids

Jun 20, 2010
I've seen that argument put out before that the country only really needs Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, a Scottish central belt airport, Aberdeen, Inverness, Belfast and Newquay
That’s an argument that insults every air traveller East of the Pennines. It’s not like we’ve got a great public transport service to get us to Manchester Birmingham or even Newcastle, so we’ll all be driving our electric cars there by the sound of it.

Len Fish

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Batley
On the face of it it doesn’t seem unreasonable that he’s asking the profitable companies to dip into their own pockets first but I suspect he’s only put back the time when a Government bale out is inevitable.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
That’s an argument that insults every air traveller East of the Pennines. It’s not like we’ve got a great public transport service to get us to Manchester Birmingham or even Newcastle, so we’ll all be driving our electric cars there by the sound of it.
Well that's the argument people make especially as most people drive to airports. Airports like MAN and BHX and LHR aren't that far of a drive for the bulk of the population which I've also seen as part of the argument for Cardiff not to exist.

lbaspotter

Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
Well it would seem some bulls--t is being spread about by the press as regards the Government not supporting UK aviation, that's if you are to believe what the union BALPA are saying right now

They have just released the following statement.

I hope those whom have had dig at the government in the past 24 hours over this might now wind there necks in!

Last edited:

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Every sector wants their area protected properly but the stark reality of the current situation is the government can only do so much. Take the self employed for example, whilst not all self employed will abuse the tax system, a great number of them will avoid paying tax during normal times. So you could argue that in not contributing to the tax system sufficiently, should they really be eligible for any help?

Offint

Premium Member Plus
Feb 6, 2016
Ilkley
Many are deserving....Virgin though....hmmm...what is Branson's tax status in the UK? I'm guessing caution about these payouts relate to Virgin too.
Tell him to bugger off....he has houses all over the world, private island and wants us the UK tax payer to give him money...no give it to the NHS who actually deserve it. He’s a resident in Monaco (tax purposes), sure I bumped into him at the local Aldi there last year. He was buying some veg and I bought a 2 man tent and mig welder.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Tell him to bugger off....he has houses all over the world, private island and wants us the UK tax payer to give him money...no give it to the NHS who actually deserve it. He’s a resident in Monaco (tax purposes), sure I bumped into him at the local Aldi there last year. He was buying some veg and I bought a 2 man tent and mig welder.
I read somewhere that Branson was going to put over £200 million into Virgin.

twevsmiff

Platinum Member
May 9, 2014
Airport closing at 1700 local today.
Assume this will be every day now as we only have 1 and some times 2 scheduled flights per day and they are both in morning

Severn

Premium Member
Mar 24, 2012
Bristol, UK
It is easy to use Richard Branson as a scapegoat here, but I'm not sure if it's that useful. Remember he is the founder of the Virgin Group which has over 70,000 employees worldwide. He also founded Virgin Atlantic, but he is not the CEO nor Chairman of the airline which has it's own corporate structure, and he will of course not be the sole decision maker.

The latest news regarding him reports that he is investing $250M of his money into the group:

Richard Branson to invest $250m in Virgin empire
Billionaire moves to protect jobs as talks continue on airline industry bailout

Richard Branson, the British billionaire, has committed to investing $250m into his Virgin empire to protect jobs as the UK government draws up plans to take equity stakes in airlines, including Virgin Atlantic, to counter the effects of the coronavirus crisis.
Sir Richard wrote in a blog post on Sunday that the chances of securing a widespread economic recovery would “depend critically upon governments around the world” implementing support programmes.
It comes as talks between airlines and the UK government have continued this weekend as the latter draws up plans for a politically difficult bailout of a sector that has been blighted by a virtual shutdown of international travel.
The Financial Times revealed on Saturday that the government was drafting a scheme that could see it buy equity stakes in carriers and other companies hardest hit by the coronavirus crisis, after warnings that the economic packages it had announced would not be enough to save them.
Airlines are expecting to hold another meeting with the government on Monday. One official said there would be daily talks with the industry this week.
The official confirmed on Sunday that talks were going on about “something more bespoke”, which could see the government end up with large equity stakes in some of the airlines. But the official added that “we are not there yet” in terms of the final shape of any rescue package.
If enacted, the plans under discussion would see the UK taxpayer inject billions of pounds into companies in exchange for shares that would eventually be sold back to private investors, according to three people briefed on the proposals.
One of the people said that the likelihood of taking outright equity positions in the airlines was dependent on the length of time that the global aviation industry was effectively shut down. More conventional rescue measures like loans, guarantees and tax relief would not be sufficient if the shutdown were to drag on for many months, they said.
They added that the government could provide debt to the airlines that would subsequently convert into equity, making the taxpayer a substantial shareholder in the airlines.
But this prospect has been made more likely after the outlook for the airline industry dramatically worsened over the past week.
Dubai-based Emirates on Sunday became the latest carrier to warn that it will almost entirely ground its passenger aircraft from Wednesday. Both easyJet and Ryanair, Europe’s largest low-cost airline, have announced similar moves, which are expected to come into effect from Tuesday.
Carriers are now preparing for a lengthy shutdown in air travel across much of the world. Michael O’Leary, Ryanair’s chief executive, on Friday told the Financial Times that the airline expected a best-case scenario of no air travel of at least two to three months. But he admitted that “honestly none of us have any idea”.
Two airline executives said they were, for now, focused on using help from the government on payroll support which would help carriers deal with short-term cash issues.
Virgin Atlantic has been one of the most vocal UK airlines in calling for state aid. Sir Richard, the chairman of Virgin Group which owns a majority stake in Virgin Atlantic, last week urged the government to provide up to £7.5bn of emergency state support to rescue the UK aviation industry.
On his blog, Sir Richard said that his businesses, which span industries such as travel, leisure and wellness, were in a “massive battle to survive”.

“Our airlines have had to ground almost all their planes; our cruise line has had to postpone its launch; our health clubs and hotels have had to close their doors and all bookings to our holiday company have stopped,” he wrote.

Tarn Spotter

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2012
Its like a scratched recored repeating itself...WTF does he fly?
In
Here we go again. Didn't you say you had 5 up and coming flights booked? How are your airline shares performing during this crisis? I guess your gas guzzling road haulage business wont be doing very well at the moment? At least the emissions from the road haulage businesses will be greatly reduced during this time. Something else the government will need to address to get on top of emissions.
In my defence, my warehouse and transport business at the moment working flat out delivery vital NHS equipment and PPE equipment as we have done for decades.
In addition its working 24/7 to supply supermarkets with food from the manufacturers we work for.
My son is a Funeral Director, his vehicles also chugging out fumes, sad you feel both my vehicles and his should be removed from the road at this critical time or any other.
We have actually doubled the number of vehicles on the road in the last two weeks and we hopefully start individual food deliveries next week to those 1.5m people having no support,thanks lmust be given to the IT experts who hourly increasing the capacity of our systems.
I never check the price of my shares in circumstances like we have at present.
I am surprised at the cheap point scoring.

Seasider

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2009
East Coast
I am predicting in 6/12 months time we will be discussing the Airport's successful attempts at getting us back to "normal". Jet2 will have taken the lead in leading the recovery, the 737Max will be flying in the skies and LBA management will be planning the new New Terminal they have just been given approval for.
That is not a dream or wishful thinking, I think it will happen.
Love to all forum members. :love::love::love::love::love:

Offint

Premium Member Plus
Feb 6, 2016
Ilkley
It is easy to use Richard Branson as a scapegoat here, but I'm not sure if it's that useful. Remember he is the founder of the Virgin Group which has over 70,000 employees worldwide. He also founded Virgin Atlantic, but he is not the CEO nor Chairman of the airline which has it's own corporate structure, and he will of course not be the sole decision maker.

The latest news regarding him reports that he is investing $250M of his money into the group:

Richard Branson to invest $250m in Virgin empire
Billionaire moves to protect jobs as talks continue on airline industry bailout

Richard Branson, the British billionaire, has committed to investing $250m into his Virgin empire to protect jobs as the UK government draws up plans to take equity stakes in airlines, including Virgin Atlantic, to counter the effects of the coronavirus crisis.
Sir Richard wrote in a blog post on Sunday that the chances of securing a widespread economic recovery would “depend critically upon governments around the world” implementing support programmes.
It comes as talks between airlines and the UK government have continued this weekend as the latter draws up plans for a politically difficult bailout of a sector that has been blighted by a virtual shutdown of international travel.
The Financial Times revealed on Saturday that the government was drafting a scheme that could see it buy equity stakes in carriers and other companies hardest hit by the coronavirus crisis, after warnings that the economic packages it had announced would not be enough to save them.
Airlines are expecting to hold another meeting with the government on Monday. One official said there would be daily talks with the industry this week.
The official confirmed on Sunday that talks were going on about “something more bespoke”, which could see the government end up with large equity stakes in some of the airlines. But the official added that “we are not there yet” in terms of the final shape of any rescue package.
If enacted, the plans under discussion would see the UK taxpayer inject billions of pounds into companies in exchange for shares that would eventually be sold back to private investors, according to three people briefed on the proposals.
One of the people said that the likelihood of taking outright equity positions in the airlines was dependent on the length of time that the global aviation industry was effectively shut down. More conventional rescue measures like loans, guarantees and tax relief would not be sufficient if the shutdown were to drag on for many months, they said.
They added that the government could provide debt to the airlines that would subsequently convert into equity, making the taxpayer a substantial shareholder in the airlines.
But this prospect has been made more likely after the outlook for the airline industry dramatically worsened over the past week.
Dubai-based Emirates on Sunday became the latest carrier to warn that it will almost entirely ground its passenger aircraft from Wednesday. Both easyJet and Ryanair, Europe’s largest low-cost airline, have announced similar moves, which are expected to come into effect from Tuesday.
Carriers are now preparing for a lengthy shutdown in air travel across much of the world. Michael O’Leary, Ryanair’s chief executive, on Friday told the Financial Times that the airline expected a best-case scenario of no air travel of at least two to three months. But he admitted that “honestly none of us have any idea”.
Two airline executives said they were, for now, focused on using help from the government on payroll support which would help carriers deal with short-term cash issues.
Virgin Atlantic has been one of the most vocal UK airlines in calling for state aid. Sir Richard, the chairman of Virgin Group which owns a majority stake in Virgin Atlantic, last week urged the government to provide up to £7.5bn of emergency state support to rescue the UK aviation industry.
On his blog, Sir Richard said that his businesses, which span industries such as travel, leisure and wellness, were in a “massive battle to survive”.

“Our airlines have had to ground almost all their planes; our cruise line has had to postpone its launch; our health clubs and hotels have had to close their doors and all bookings to our holiday company have stopped,” he wrote.
For a man who's net worth is 4.1 billion its petty cash!

stars&sids

Jun 20, 2010
Well that's the argument people make especially as most people drive to airports. Airports like MAN and BHX and LHR aren't that far of a drive for the bulk of the population which I've also seen as part of the argument for Cardiff not to exist.
Sorry Jerry, I wasn’t intending to have a pop at you, but I just think that if that were any sort of official policy, it would be massively flawed given the population of the east Mids/ Yorkshire/ Lincolnshire etc.

stars&sids

Jun 20, 2010
Go on then, I’m dying to know…… You were in Monaco buying a 2 man tent & a mig welder from Aldi. There must be a good tale behind that!

Top Bottom