Tarn Spotter, like you I have grandchildren (they don't live near an airport) and I would hope that they will grow up in a healthy environment. There are far greater problems with noise and pollution from road traffic than from air traffic so are we going to curtail the use of cars, lorries etc as you are suggesting we should do to air traffic?

I thought you owned a haulage company Tarn Spotter so would you like to see all your trucks banned for the same reason ?
I am sure they are EEC compliant now but trucks have been high in emission pollution in the past.
I too live very close to the airport by choice and would not hesitate to move if developments other than airport infrastructure were to impact on my life style.
They can build what they like to develope the airport for me but not houses to raise cash.

I cant agree that the airport comes first, but thankfully I will fight this point, hopefully showing respect to the other side as we both hold sincere views.
However, my first response which I obviously put badly was that DSA does not have the issues LBA does and can grow quite easily to be bigger then LBA. and it should not be seen as bad.
For LBA to compete on a level playing fields with DSA would require changes, some of which White Heather has now states unlikely to take place (runway extension)
Air pollution is number one for me, the airport master plan for me did not address this issue as rightly little they can do as not in their hands.
By building a link road and train station and rerouting local traffic, studies have shown this would do wonders for air pollution measurements in the area, especially around local schools, allowing a vast increase to passenger numbers, just growing number without making changes, will invite complaints.
Air pollution around local schools is above government measurement and those of the world health authority, for me this is what will drive local views, not runway length, noise, passenger numbers etc.

I cant agree that the airport comes first, but thankfully I will fight this point, hopefully showing respect to the other side as we both hold sincere views.
However, my first response which I obviously put badly was that DSA does not have the issues LBA does and can grow quite easily to be bigger then LBA. and it should not be seen as bad.
For LBA to compete on a level playing fields with DSA would require changes, some of which White Heather has now states unlikely to take place (runway extension)
Air pollution is number one for me, the airport master plan for me did not address this issue as rightly little they can do as not in their hands.
By building a link road and train station and rerouting local traffic, studies have shown this would do wonders for air pollution measurements in the area, especially around local schools, allowing a vast increase to passenger numbers, just growing number without making changes, will invite complaints.
Air pollution around local schools is above government measurement and those of the world health authority, for me this is what will drive local views, not runway length, noise, passenger numbers etc.

Tarn Spotter, the West Yorkshire Combined Authority and Leeds City Council have already said they will be building both the parkway station and link road over the next few years and the money is already in place for the parkway station, so I am unsure why you have concerns about airport growth without these developments. If they are not built as we are told they will be, then LBA will not grow much anyway. You cannot have one without the other, so the growth will be dependent to a large degree on the transport infrastructure being put in place. You have stated that the Airport Masterplan doesn't cover the pollution issues but you are entirely incorrect. Firstly the Masterplan does show the link road and rail proposals as it is a key part of the airport's future planning, but in any case there was an additional Airport Access Document that goes hand in hand with the Masterplan that specifically covers such issues. Quite how you can claim therefore that the airport has not covered pollution is beyond me, as it is very much at the forefront of their planning.

Whilst I recognise air pollution as a key issue (wherever in the city you happen to live), the vast majority of that pollution is from road traffic that is NOT going to the airport - the through traffic I mentioned previously, much of which would be diverted along the new link road, assuming Option A is confirmed. Whilst aircraft obviously contribute to this, LBA's aircraft movements are a long way short of being the major culprit. However, I assume that since you invest in the airline industry, being a Ryanair share holder, you are not unduly concerned with regard to the pollution created by aircraft?

Back in the days of council ownership the airport had many more characters that it seems to do now. Not just within the airport company itself but throughout the airport and it's business partners. Does anybody know if this is something that's going to be shown throughout the ITV network or just the Yorkshire region?

I would imagine it will be national, just the production is local. I’m surprised it’s not channel 5 as they like to big up Yorkshire with Yorkshire vet etc- all good in promoting the countryside and opportunities here.

Tarn Spotter, the West Yorkshire Combined Authority and Leeds City Council have already said they will be building both the parkway station and link road over the next few years and the money is already in place for the parkway station, so I am unsure why you have concerns about airport growth without these developments. If they are not built as we are told they will be, then LBA will not grow much anyway. You cannot have one without the other, so the growth will be dependent to a large degree on the transport infrastructure being put in place. You have stated that the Airport Masterplan doesn't cover the pollution issues but you are entirely incorrect. Firstly the Masterplan does show the link road and rail proposals as it is a key part of the airport's future planning, but in any case there was an additional Airport Access Document that goes hand in hand with the Masterplan that specifically covers such issues. Quite how you can claim therefore that the airport has not covered pollution is beyond me, as it is very much at the forefront of their planning.

Whilst I recognise air pollution as a key issue (wherever in the city you happen to live), the vast majority of that pollution is from road traffic that is NOT going to the airport - the through traffic I mentioned previously, much of which would be diverted along the new link road, assuming Option A is confirmed. Whilst aircraft obviously contribute to this, LBA's aircraft movements are a long way short of being the major culprit. However, I assume that since you invest in the airline industry, being a Ryanair share holder, you are not unduly concerned with regard to the pollution created by aircraft?
Organisations making promises of link roads and train stations and master plans outlining what may happen if these take place are miles away from positive steps.
I accept I am a shareholder of Ryanair and also have been of Dart Group for two decades and hope to support them to further growth.
I also own transport company and in 1968 moved to LPG for all trucks and cars and whilst electric is now becoming more mainstream, were doing huge work on hydrogen and as it takes only 5 minutes to fill a car tank, wonder whether this may be the fuel of the future.
Yet our government is trying to save two old fashioned concepts, petrol and diesel and the e.u. has frustrated hydrogen plans (wonder why) and failed to support electric battery concepts developed by the u.k., again on competition worries.
You cant stop everything, so air travel has a place, cant agree that the majority of the local traffic is non airport, 64% of LBA passengers are "Kiss & Fly", therefore they make four journeys to the airport, taxis & mini buses 20% again 4 journeys and public transport 5%, every growth of passengers increases local demands.
The "Surface Access Strategy" built its hope on a link road and train station, two years in, we have not even got the route agreed or the land for both purchased. The SAS policy was to reduce "Kiss and Fly" and move traffic to public transport, its target via public transport for 2030 was 25% of airport traffic, and a similar figure for airport staff travelling on their own by car, if you take the figures in 2016 were 5% for taxi and 9% for workers we have a huge way to go.
If you add that 8% of new cars are now electric and to my knowledge non of the airports car parks have either charging or local garages hydrogen pumps (will the new garage have?), my friend parked at scentinal (more car journeys) and paid for a electric charge to return at 2am in the morning to a flat battery and no one with keys to enable it to be recharged.
I have never in the last 40 years voted against any local planning measure at LBA, in fact I fought locally to extend flying hours in 1987, I cant see I ever will, unless the hard airport supporters put forward, totally crass plans.

Travelling in 2016 to the airport by public transport was 5% in 2016, not taxi as I detail. Its this measurement that the airport want to raise to 25% as it half's the number of vehicle journeys, too and from the airport, sorry for my typo error.

hi all
now peel have sold tees-side airport what are your thoughts, will the new owners entice t.u.i. loganair, flyby, stobart air, wizz, will it affect the growth at LBA?whats your thoughts?.
regards
sm

It might manage to attract them but they still have the catchment area issues so may be some impact on LBA but I would expect that to be very minimal in the short term at least. Some have already tried and failed at MME so it may require a "little brown envelope" for anything to work. And then as may just happen with BE at DSA, what happens when the "deal" runs out.

MME is a railway station crying out for an Airport...exact opposite of LBA. It has been suggested somewhere else that perhaps a Carlisle - Teesside - Southend type of service might work. Time will tell.

I used to use it all the time when it was still an airport (long time ago now). It was run down by Peel so much that it will take a great effort from whoever is the new owner to even make a start to revive it's fortunes which, however hard they try, isn't going to happen overnight. So as far as LBA is concerned I would say that it is a 'watching brief' and nothing more than thay at the moment.

Wasn't there a planning application that was approved a while back for a housing estate to be built on part of the airport land? Not sure what that, if my memory isn't deceiving me, would do to any future aviation development.

Thanks for putting up, some good questions and interesting answers.
When you read this report and add in the news that IAG is to sell its holding in Norwegian Airline and the conditions imposed in a financial sense from its new backer.
Every one of its 195 new planes on order are now to be offered to other airlines, the Financial Times feels transatlantic operation will be sold off and basically, due to the new ownership rules after brexit, even IAG (rules last month by the e..u. as a european company) cant bid for the u.k. to the States slots.
If Jet2 has any interest in the States this part of the Norwegian sell off must be of interest, whether any of the 195 aircraft are of use is not an area I have any expertise in.
I certainly felt the LBA commercial Director talks the right language, its a big sell to get the new airlines on board.

Really enjoyed that read. One thing that worries me is only going up 1 million passengers in 5 years.

Looking back at how long it took LBA to get from 3 million up to 4 million per year , getting to 5 million in 5 years isn't as bad as you think it is!

Especially if you take in to consideration that within them next 5 years we will have a new Terminal extension built, The layout changes to existing building will make the movement of passengers far easier than is now, and hopefully we may have some movement from LCC with both the long awaited Parkway Rail Station and A65-A658 link road projects.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock