Manchester Airport - General Thread

Advertisement

marni1971

Nov 21, 2017
Manchester
That depends on 2 things. Firstly, and very obviously the tie up with Virgin but secondly, and more importantly, the provision of a domestic passenger facility within T2/T2X. If the domestic facility stays in T1 then, if BE were to park remotely at T2X, passengers would need to be bussed and nothing is gained - if anything the passenger experience will be worse.

Also think about the lack of apron space around T2X? Where would you put the flybe aircraft. So, we are back to the date of around 2022.

By next summer there will possibly only be a very few stands in use for boarding dir3ctly from the old T2 frontage. I suspect that the west apron may have gone but we will gain the new Lima remote stands.

I'm hopeful that @marni1971 will join in on this discussion as I believe he may have some useful input.
I think the biggest unknown (almost) is what pier comes next. If pier two is built next then presumably most if not all the legacy contact gates on T2 will remain available. This would make sense, since pier two can open with it’s available space and then the legacy gates close for the final pier construction.

Also worth noting that the original (approved) T2X plans had a domestic element.

Scottie Dog

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
You'll find Lima remotes on the screenshot below - in orange on the left-hand side and referred to as P1 Remote stands and Taxiway Zulu.

At the end of December there will be the first stage of renaming taxiways. What is currently Zulu will, in due course, become Lima.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
I can't 'like' your post for obvious reasons but I join you in your RIP sentiment.

It's said that people often remember how they heard the news of significant events. I can remember how I heard about 9/11 and Lord Mountbatten's death but other momentous events such as Kennedy's assassination are a blur when it comes to recalling how I heard the news.

I do remember how I learned of the Manchester Airport tragedy. My wife and I were spending a few days in and around Exmoor and were at Lynmouth on the day in question (Lynmouth is no stranger to tragedy itself with the 1952 flood disaster), and when we returned to our car we turned on the radio to hear the terrible news.

mullion

May 9, 2014
It`s funny how you remember things like this, I was in Yorkshire Dales and rang home just after it happened
Lockerbie I was in Middleton at a chippie whilst working an evening delivering the papers for bookies and
it must have almost gone overhead

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Does anybody know what this new restriction is that is having a large effect on departures at
Manchester caused by no take offs when traffic on finals to 27 at Liverpool, air traffic are going mad about it as
they are getting lots of complaints from departing aircraft and asking them to make reports, the controller
said it is for the forseeable future and is rediculous
As seems almost normal I'm again away from base and stuck with just the mobile!! I do however have an answer to your question and I'll try to copy and paste it for you later today.

mullion

May 9, 2014
Cheers Scottie, it does seem to have gone back to normal now but on that Sunday people were getting quite uptight about it

LS@MAN

Feb 20, 2018
UK
I have noticed much different approach paths into Liverpool recently when landings are on 27.
Surly there’s big enough spacing between the two areas...but hey i’m no expert

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Okay, I'm still away but now have the laptop out - using the phone as a tether (you guys don't how much grief I'm getting from my wife for doing this :arghh: - actually she's not that bad:LOL::LOL:)

So here the answer from a man that knows:

There has always been an issue with certain SID’s from 23L/R conflicting with Liverpool 27 arrivals and this historically has been resolved on a tactical basis. However, as in any safety culture, ideas change and develop and “sorting it out once they are airborne” is now no longer considered a suitable mitigation.
So basically the radar video map now has two new chunks of airspace marked out, one to north and one to the south of the Liverpool 27 centreline, during which time any Liverpool 27 arrivals are in that airspace, Manchester can only depart traffic on LISTO SID’s. Bit of overkill? I couldn’t possibly comment.

Have a great evening.

LS@MAN

Feb 20, 2018
UK
Do we know how many passengers went through the airport over the bank holiday weekend? I haven't heard any MEN or daily stail stories on horrendous queues etc so like to think MAN were well prepared and staffed adequately?!

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Thanks David for that refreshing article. You and I both know that Manchester constantly gets a bit of a ribbing in the press and so this is good news.

Top Bottom