What's incredible is that Lufthansa operate from FRA to most UK airports but not LBA. The MAN presence is irrelevant, as they do fly to LPL which is half the distance to MAN compared to LBA. It's a route that LBA badly needs. Nothing to Germany is, frankly, ridiculous.

What's incredible is that Lufthansa operate from FRA to most UK airports but not LBA. The MAN presence is irrelevant, as they do fly to LPL which is half the distance to MAN compared to LBA. It's a route that LBA badly needs. Nothing to Germany is, frankly, ridiculous.

Lufthansa operate to 11 UK airports from FRA (vs 17 KLM serve from AMS) - even that, I wouldn't class that as "most".

10 of those airports are busier than LBA - the 1 that isn't is BHD, but I'd say that's an isolated case as its serving N.Ireland where competing airports are harder to get to than for LBA (legacy/hub carriers avoid BFS altogether).

I'd view LBA in very similar position to LPL if not better. Westward connections are provided by Play (2 weekly) at LPL and Aer Lingus (14 weekly) at LBA, with Eastward connections provided by Lufthansa (6 weekly) at LPL and KLM (21 weekly) at LBA. (Figures taken for September as Play suspend LPL over part of the summer!).

Those 4 carriers have ~1700 seats available per week from LPL vs ~6000 seats from LBA.

Long story short - LBAs is doing pretty well. It's recovered a greater percentage of passengers than a lot of other UK airports, has gained a new airline that sends high capacity aircraft and is currently working on significant infrastructure expansion. Not sure many airports the same size as LBA can claim that - in fact arguably one of their closest competitors has shut down entirely!

I agree wholeheartedly. Its frustrating that LBA havent managed to secure services to anywhere at all in Germany.

But it’s always easy to come up with reasons why routes don’t work, ignoring the possibility the demand is not there. LHR is another example.

Rightly or wrongly, airlines will be put off by SAS’ rapid exit at that time, whatever the reasons.

So because 1 airline didn’t quite succeed here means that other airlines won’t consider LBA? That’s basically what you’re saying…

A route to Germany Frankfurt I’m sure would make good money if the timings are right for connections. They seem to work at LPL, BRS, NCL and also BHD this summer.

Its frustrating that LBA havent managed to secure services to anywhere at all in Germany.
Maybe the demand isn't there or it's catered for at other airports? For a German carrier like Eurowings they'd be looking at German tourism into the area especially from somewhere like Dusseldorf and that might be catered for at Manchester. Ryanair would probably be looking at UK too Germany tourism especially with a route like Berlin. Lufthansa would probably be more concerned about onward connections rather than point 2 point.

Lufthansa operate to 11 UK airports from FRA (vs 17 KLM serve from AMS) - even that, I wouldn't class that as "most".

10 of those airports are busier than LBA - the 1 that isn't is BHD, but I'd say that's an isolated case as its serving N.Ireland where competing airports are harder to get to than for LBA (legacy/hub carriers avoid BFS altogether).

I'd view LBA in very similar position to LPL if not better. Westward connections are provided by Play (2 weekly) at LPL and Aer Lingus (14 weekly) at LBA, with Eastward connections provided by Lufthansa (6 weekly) at LPL and KLM (21 weekly) at LBA. (Figures taken for September as Play suspend LPL over part of the summer!).

Those 4 carriers have ~1700 seats available per week from LPL vs ~6000 seats from LBA.

Long story short - LBAs is doing pretty well. It's recovered a greater percentage of passengers than a lot of other UK airports, has gained a new airline that sends high capacity aircraft and is currently working on significant infrastructure expansion. Not sure many airports the same size as LBA can claim that - in fact arguably one of their closest competitors has shut down entirely!

It seems.that EI is returning to LPL this year which Will complement PLAY for US passengers.

A route to Germany Frankfurt I’m sure would make good money if the timings are right for connections. They seem to work at LPL, BRS, NCL and also BHD this summer.
With Lufthansa it's going to be more a case of onward connections with Manchester so close for a big part of the Yorkshire population they may feel the area is covered.

I dont think tourism has a major part to play. Its got to be connections and point to point business travel.
Tourism is a part of onward connections as well and for routes outside of hubs like Frankfurt it's key too make many routes sustainable and as for business travel that is a lot less these days post pandemic.

Tourism is a part of onward connections as well and for routes outside of hubs like Frankfurt it's key too make many routes sustainable and as for business travel that is a lot less these days post pandemic.
I meant tourism in Germany for UK visitors and tourism in the UK for Germans, point to point tourism if you like- but Im sure there will be some.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock