Air Traffic, ILS & Navigation Aids

Advertisement

oldendays

Sep 19, 2009
Old news (as in 5 June) but I've just read that the airport control tower is to be fitted out with a new Frequentis VCCS. Systems Interface shall do the job. This work was last done only fifteen years ago when Copperchase installed the incumbent Schmid system. Schmid, however, ceased trading a few years ago so perhaps this has prompted the decision to replace. Also, this news does kind of suggest the existing control tower has a future if the new terminal is approved.

I could be wrong but I believe Bristol has a Frequentis VCCS.

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
Old news (as in 5 June) but I've just read that the airport control tower is to be fitted out with a new Frequentis VCCS. Systems Interface shall do the job. This work was last done only fifteen years ago when Copperchase installed the incumbent Schmid system. Schmid, however, ceased trading a few years ago so perhaps this has prompted the decision to replace. Also, this news does kind of suggest the existing control tower has a future if the new terminal is approved.

I could be wrong but I believe Bristol has a Frequentis VCCS.
The control tower doesn't have a future if the terminal is approved, at least not in the longer term. However it is likely to be there for another 4 to 5 years if approved while they sort out where to build a new one. And build it. I guess that some of this equipment is transferrable to the new tower too (if any of this happens).

oldendays

Sep 19, 2009
Modern VCCS equipment is transportable. The controllers have flat touch screen panels and the actual radio and telephone modules are mounted in industry-standard 19" racks. Everything is joined by CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet cable. The problem is being able to provide a service when moving stuff from one location to another.

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
The control tower doesn't have a future if the terminal is approved, at least not in the longer term. However it is likely to be there for another 4 to 5 years if approved while they sort out where to build a new one. And build it. I guess that some of this equipment is transferrable to the new tower too (if any of this happens).
Where would the tower go? I've always thought it should go on the GA side of the airfield and somehow be connected to a new fire station too. The Fire trucks have access to the RWY so would be able to make to to the far end of RWY14/Loop in no time.

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
Where would the tower go? I've always thought it should go on the GA side of the airfield and somehow be connected to a new fire station too. The Fire trucks have access to the RWY so would be able to make to to the far end of RWY14/Loop in no time.
Favourite would be the South Side, independent if the terminal. It should be possible there to find a location from which the entire airfield is visible.

oldendays

Sep 19, 2009
I would put the tower in a north facing position, probably where the NDB antenna is now. The NDB has been moved once before so I'm sure it won't mind moving again.

Dave 1959

Oct 9, 2014
At least making the tower remote from the terminal building should solve the problem of ATC having to bail out every time the fire alarm goes off!.When you think about it there are not that many ATC towers left that are attached to terminal buildings- Humberside,Cardiff and Shoreham are about the only ones that I can think of.

oldendays

Sep 19, 2009
Noooo! No way! An airport without a control tower is like ham without mustard.

It may be possible to retain the existing tower if and when the terminal is demolished. As far as I can tell from the inside, it has its own lower walls down to ground level and the terminal is built around it, rather than underneath it. I'd rather that than a load of cameras and synthetic views.

Disclaimer: I speak purely for myself (unless anyone agrees). I'm not likely to use any ATC facility so my opinions don't necessarily reflect current trends and probabilities in the ATC business.

Dave 1959

Oct 9, 2014
Talking of the control tower I came across this picture in a YEP publication "Changing Leeds-part 4 Transport" dated July 1970. 20200731_151010.jpg

oldendays

Sep 19, 2009
Judging by all the cars parked outside I would guess this photograph was taken before the terminal was open and when the tower was very new, so 1967-68. Our hero in the middle looks very pleased to be there. I wonder who he is ? I think that's Mike Wild on the telephone at the front.

Dave 1959

Oct 9, 2014
Judging by all the cars parked outside I would guess this photograph was taken before the terminal was open and when the tower was very new, so 1967-68. Our hero in the middle looks very pleased to be there. I wonder who he is ? I think that's Mike Wild on the telephone at the front.
Then the tower was "state of the art" now it would be "state of the ark" :D

G-AZNZ(2)

Apr 5, 2020
Leeds
The talk of virtual control towers is rather apt. Given that, until the old former Avro hanger was demolished to make way for the terminal/apron extensions in the early 1980's, the LBA controllers didn't have sight of the Runway 28 & 19 thresholds and had to use CCTV!

Top Bottom