Old news (as in 5 June) but I've just read that the airport control tower is to be fitted out with a new Frequentis VCCS. Systems Interface shall do the job. This work was last done only fifteen years ago when Copperchase installed the incumbent Schmid system. Schmid, however, ceased trading a few years ago so perhaps this has prompted the decision to replace. Also, this news does kind of suggest the existing control tower has a future if the new terminal is approved.

I could be wrong but I believe Bristol has a Frequentis VCCS.

Old news (as in 5 June) but I've just read that the airport control tower is to be fitted out with a new Frequentis VCCS. Systems Interface shall do the job. This work was last done only fifteen years ago when Copperchase installed the incumbent Schmid system. Schmid, however, ceased trading a few years ago so perhaps this has prompted the decision to replace. Also, this news does kind of suggest the existing control tower has a future if the new terminal is approved.

I could be wrong but I believe Bristol has a Frequentis VCCS.
The control tower doesn't have a future if the terminal is approved, at least not in the longer term. However it is likely to be there for another 4 to 5 years if approved while they sort out where to build a new one. And build it. I guess that some of this equipment is transferrable to the new tower too (if any of this happens).

Modern VCCS equipment is transportable. The controllers have flat touch screen panels and the actual radio and telephone modules are mounted in industry-standard 19" racks. Everything is joined by CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet cable. The problem is being able to provide a service when moving stuff from one location to another.

The control tower doesn't have a future if the terminal is approved, at least not in the longer term. However it is likely to be there for another 4 to 5 years if approved while they sort out where to build a new one. And build it. I guess that some of this equipment is transferrable to the new tower too (if any of this happens).

Where would the tower go? I've always thought it should go on the GA side of the airfield and somehow be connected to a new fire station too. The Fire trucks have access to the RWY so would be able to make to to the far end of RWY14/Loop in no time.

Where would the tower go? I've always thought it should go on the GA side of the airfield and somehow be connected to a new fire station too. The Fire trucks have access to the RWY so would be able to make to to the far end of RWY14/Loop in no time.
Favourite would be the South Side, independent if the terminal. It should be possible there to find a location from which the entire airfield is visible.

I would put the tower in a north facing position, probably where the NDB antenna is now. The NDB has been moved once before so I'm sure it won't mind moving again.

At least making the tower remote from the terminal building should solve the problem of ATC having to bail out every time the fire alarm goes off!.When you think about it there are not that many ATC towers left that are attached to terminal buildings- Humberside,Cardiff and Shoreham are about the only ones that I can think of.

Noooo! No way! An airport without a control tower is like ham without mustard.

It may be possible to retain the existing tower if and when the terminal is demolished. As far as I can tell from the inside, it has its own lower walls down to ground level and the terminal is built around it, rather than underneath it. I'd rather that than a load of cameras and synthetic views.

Disclaimer: I speak purely for myself (unless anyone agrees). I'm not likely to use any ATC facility so my opinions don't necessarily reflect current trends and probabilities in the ATC business.

Talking of the control tower I came across this picture in a YEP publication "Changing Leeds-part 4 Transport" dated July 1970.20200731_151010.jpg

Judging by all the cars parked outside I would guess this photograph was taken before the terminal was open and when the tower was very new, so 1967-68. Our hero in the middle looks very pleased to be there. I wonder who he is ? I think that's Mike Wild on the telephone at the front.

Judging by all the cars parked outside I would guess this photograph was taken before the terminal was open and when the tower was very new, so 1967-68. Our hero in the middle looks very pleased to be there. I wonder who he is ? I think that's Mike Wild on the telephone at the front.
Then the tower was "state of the art" now it would be "state of the ark" :D

The talk of virtual control towers is rather apt. Given that, until the old former Avro hanger was demolished to make way for the terminal/apron extensions in the early 1980's, the LBA controllers didn't have sight of the Runway 28 & 19 thresholds and had to use CCTV!

I've noticed again very recently the relatively weak reception on the radar frequency against the tower frequency. I'm getting full blast on tower on my Icom receiver, i.e. 7/7 bars but only 5 or 6 on radar. Even aircraft on the ground are coming through stronger than radar. However, given the two frequencies are some 14 MHz apart, I suspect this is at least partly down to my loft aerial being a more appropriate length for 120.305 than for 134.580.

Ive seen a few reports of poor signal in various areas this week. I was surprised the other day when i could here the ground vehicles from home in Pudsey!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock