I am after some assistance if anyone is available to help please. After years of having aircraft logs scattered here there and everywhere I have recently got round to trying to tidy them up. And in with that I have some where rather stupidly I haven’t written dates against them. The first one I am struggling with a date for is when I logged the followings:
EI-CFA. SF340
G-BEWR. Ce182
G-BHMX, G-BHMY, G-BLFJ, G-BNAL, G-JEAA all F27s
G-CSBM. Ce150
G-ELDI. DC9
G-UKAG. BAe146 div from NCL as UK790
LZ-BTA. Tu154
OO-DTG. E120
OO-DTH. E120 div from NCL as SN675

If anyone can help me with a date that would be appreciated. Pretty sure it’s fairly early 90s.

Probably a few more I will need help with as I continue my sort out

Thought I would post this as these and the Viscount, F27 were my first memories of plane spotting at LBA when there was as high metal fence be side the terminal to the right. Dad used to take my brother and I up after work. He once ran out of fuel there and had to call the RAC white Morris Marina if anyone witnessed it haha. I must be giving my age away

Thought I would post this as these and the Viscount, F27 were my first memories of plane spotting at LBA when there was as high metal fence be side the terminal to the right. Dad used to take my brother and I up after work. He once ran out of fuel there and had to call the RAC white Morris Marina if anyone witnessed it haha. I must be giving my age away
I cycled up there from where I lived in Ireland Wood. Chained my bike to the fence, wandered around the terminal picking up anything I could find if interest, watched from upstairs if raining or sat on the benches outside on the viewing area, watching for my 2nd cousins husband who was a ground engineer. They all wore white all in one suits back then. This was in the days of BKS, Dan Air, BUIA,.Aer Lingus Channel Airways etc. Before Air Anglia and well before Air UK was dreamt of.

One thing I always remember was the black departures and arrivals board just inside the terminal with white plastic letter/numbers that were just fixed on to the board by means of plastic lugs in the back that pushed into slots in the board. The airport policeman who had an office next door had the job of updating the board each evening. On average, there would be about 10-15 departures/arrivals daily, but on Saturdays, we would be lucky to see more than 6 or 7, including flights to Jersey and the Isle of Man.

I used to love the Air UK F27 coming in from Belfast just before bed time. It would normally approach down wind left hand 32 weather permitting and literally fly over our house in horsforth and bank tight left for a base leg before turning finals.
Miss the old hand flying approaches.

I cycled up when the Tristar fell off. Was on Scotland Lane heard the abnormal reverse thrust then I saw it as I came to the field with the landing lights in. I turned round in shock and cycled home to tell parents then went back up and looked in disbelief near the old reservoirs off Scotland Lane.
Amazing memories

Last edited:
I cycled up there from where I lived in Ireland Wood. Chained my bike to the fence, wandered around the terminal picking up anything I could find if interest, watched from upstairs if raining or sat on the benches outside on the viewing area, watching for my 2nd cousins husband who was a ground engineer. They all wore white all in one suits back then. This was in the days of BKS, Dan Air, BUIA,.Aer Lingus Channel Airways etc. Before Air Anglia and well before Air UK was dreamt of.

One thing I always remember was the black departures and arrivals board just inside the terminal with white plastic letter/numbers that were just fixed on to the board by means of plastic lugs in the back that pushed into slots in the board. The airport policeman who had an office next door had the job of updating the board each evening. On average, there would be about 10-15 departures/arrivals daily, but on Saturdays, we would be lucky to see more than 6 or 7, including flights to Jersey and the Isle of Man.
Almost my sentiments too, except I had BIA rather than BUIA, Northeast rather than BKS and Air Anglia's early days at LBA too.

And Dan Air - Skyways !

Last edited:

I think you, The Pole and I must be a similar age as lots of what you relate is familiar to me. Wasnt the uniformed gent in the office with the arrivals/departures board the Airport Duty Officer?

I think you, The Pole and I must be a similar age as lots of what you relate is familiar to me. Wasnt the uniformed gent in the office with the arrivals/departures board the Airport Duty Officer?
I don't know. He had a uniform on which looked like police, but at that age they were all coppers to me. He was a friendly bloke though. It was mid to late 1960s.

One thing I always remember was the black departures and arrivals board just inside the terminal with white plastic letter/numbers that were just fixed on to the board by means of plastic lugs in the back that pushed into slots in the board.
I remember similar at BHX. There was no advanced notification of unusual flights (compare to FR24). It was just look at the board and usually note - just the usual. It was, however enough to sate my desire for aeroplanes and the quiet times were usually filled by playing 'Top Trumps'. Happy days!

Think I'm a little to young to remember! Me and my mate once bought air band radios off a guy in a car on the bomb holes (plane trees) the old viewing point opposite the terminal. In the 80s the old chap may not be with us now! Shared an interest in aviation and got chatting etc etc wouldn't happen nowadays you'd run a mile

Yes, I’m old enough to remember all the old, stalwart aircraft at LBA. Also remember what I think were variants of the DC-4 operated I think by British Midland. Lived at Tinshill at the time and I can still picture them flying low overhead coming in to land and seeing the flames shooting out of the exhausts.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

I've asked Gareth Southgate for the winning lottery numbers. He said 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
Aviador wrote on VC10's profile.
Thank you once again for your contribution to the running costs of Forums4airports. It's much appreciated.
Come On You England Boys
New "Helpful" tick and a "Great Photo" camera reactions now added.
X (Formerly Twitter) embeds should now be working fully again, though you may need to use the [MEDIA] BB Code to see the full effect if the single link doesn't embed correctly ;)
Being elevated in the field of Law does not make one immune from the troubles of medical life, apart from a long standing Brain issue, I have been diagnosed with Angina, a condition that actually hurts. I have no family and since my precious dog Peggy died, I have have no one to oblige myself. I am unwell, cannot avoid that so I wish you all well.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock