I just watched the documentary which aired in 1968 about LBA (YEADON), which I have not seen since a kid. One thing is evident, that some things never change, small minded politicians, no forward thinking, proven that any airport in the Goole, Thorne, Doncaster area, regardless of runway length and motorway links is a non starter. It was good to see the old Viscounts, and the old terminal is still in use. Could not find a link to post, but it is on Youtube archive.
Let's have an Airport (1968) Whicker's World

I just watched the documentary which aired in 1968 about LBA (YEADON), which I have not seen since a kid. One thing is evident, that some things never change, small minded politicians, no forward thinking, proven that any airport in the Goole, Thorne, Doncaster area, regardless of runway length and motorway links is a non starter. It was good to see the old Viscounts, and the old terminal is still in use. Could not find a link to post, but it is on Youtube archive.
Let's have an Airport (1968) Whicker's World
Wow what a great video! The people of power in the yorkshire region were just as backwards thinking then! They never change!

The good thing is that the airport is still there and exceeding predictions from all the nay sayers. It was interesting that Manchester only had 1miilon + passengers at that time.
Yes i believe the video stated MAN was handling around 1.5million pax in 1968, bet yet when you see the clips from back then with all the B707s, VC10s you would expect it to be carrying far more. I guess between those movements there were big gaps in the traffic.
Does anyone on here have by chance the LBA and MAN timetables for around that period, can they be sourced from anywhere?

Yes i believe the video stated MAN was handling around 1.5million pax in 1968, bet yet when you see the clips from back then with all the B707s, VC10s you would expect it to be carrying far more. I guess between those movements there were big gaps in the traffic.
Does anyone on here have by chance the LBA and MAN timetables for around that period, can they be sourced from anywhere?
Those must almost be museum status! Have you looked around at LBA?

full

The area marked in red show the original 60s terminal so it has changed and grown a lot to be fair.

Last edited:
Had the 60s building been added to sympathetically with similar design principles they could've created something special and fit for purpose, but instead they completely changed the design and levels with the add ons. They did the same with every subsequent ad on. Such a shame. Leeds-Bradford-Airport-terminal.jpg

Had the 60s building been added to sympathetically with similar design principles they could've created something special and fit for purpose, but instead they completely changed the design and levels with the add ons. They did the same with every subsequent ad on. Such a shame. View attachment 27912
Good point, instead of adding bits on if they had just continued with the banana shape to the point where its almost a complete circle with the same design all the way round plus lets say a new control tower in the centre with a greater height then it would actually look really good i feel, the land around would have to be levelled off, traffic alterations plus the apron could be expanded out with aircraft parked inwards with air bridges. Dam ive just woke up..

Had the 60s building been added to sympathetically with similar design principles they could've created something special and fit for purpose, but instead they completely changed the design and levels with the add ons. They did the same with every subsequent ad on. Such a shame. View attachment 27912
If they had carried extending to the same design we would have had a circular terminal now! Amsterdam?
The car park might be parking stands!

It would seem some members are in Dreamland.

Yes We are stuck with what we're going to get. We can all blame the local Labour MP's and Conservative government.
But it is what it is.
Be happy we getting the back up plan instead of going to a public inquiry and losing the lot.
You need to read back through the thread to see how we got here. We're talking about what could've happened had planners planned better years ago. Nothing to do with the terminal cancellation. We're just having a bit of fun. Dreaming yes.

It would seem some members are in Dreamland.

Yes We are stuck with what we're going to get. We can all blame the 5+ local Labour MP's and Conservative government.
But it is what it is.
Be happy we getting Hywel Rees back up plan instead of going to a public inquiry and losing the lot.
It dont think it was never Hywel Rees's back up plan. Quite the opposite. He said he would never proceed with the 2019 extension and was quite scathing about it. I honestly don't think he ever considered that the new terminal would be refused.

The extension option only came back onto the menu after the current CEO arrived and after it became clear that the disgraceful excuses for MPs and Councillors were determined to block Project Sky.

Also worth bearing in mind that what they are now proceeding with and the original 2019 scheme are likely to be different on the inside at least, and the later 'second phase' now appears to be part of the main scheme, so it's much improved over the scheme rejected by Hywel Rees.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

New "Helpful" tick and a "Great Photo" camera reactions now added.
X (Formerly Twitter) embeds should now be working fully again, though you may need to use the [MEDIA] BB Code to see the full effect if the single link doesn't embed correctly ;)
Being elevated in the field of Law does not make one immune from the troubles of medical life, apart from a long standing Brain issue, I have been diagnosed with Angina, a condition that actually hurts. I have no family and since my precious dog Peggy died, I have have no one to oblige myself. I am unwell, cannot avoid that so I wish you all well.
All set for a busy football weekend peeps?
A couple of tweaks here and there coming, keep an eye and see if you can spot the difference ;)
That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock