ex_crew said:
Am I correct that this was also a visitor along with Wardair ( same period ) operating to YYZ ?
r dote

Ex Crew, yes you are correct. For a very brief period we had both Wardair Canada using their 747 and Worldways Canada using L-1011's on the Toronto route. Worldways also operated a DC8 63 on at least one occasion. I posted a photo of the L-1011 within the Nostalgimsaphoto thread.

Other operators of the L-1011 on the Toronto route was Air Transat - there is also a photo of that in there too. After the demise of Wardair, we had a succession of other airlines on the route, all using 757s. Odyssey International, Air Transat and Nationair were the three that spring to mind. Again, photos are in the nostalgia thread. These also include many of the BA Manchester fleet (1-11's, ATP's and 737 200's) virtually all of which diverted into LBA one evening as mentioned previously, due to fog at Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham.

Thanks for your post White Heather.

My records show that the Swissair Airbus 310 HB-IPE diverted to LBA on 14 December 1990.

I presume the Dan Air flight with the fuel shortage you mentioned was Boeing 727-200 G-NROA which arrived in the early hours of Saturday 01 February 1992 as DAN1215 from Tenerife South. It positioned out to Gatwick later in the day as DAN890A.

Lastly a final observation. LACAN seemed to make as much noise as two Rolls Royce Spey engines on high power ! Fond memories of a British Island Airways One-Eleven 500 departing Runway 14 on a hot day bound for the Balaeric Islands.

Re: Leeds Bradford Airport Overview [Updated August 2014]

I see the heading quotes the oft reported line that IT flights to Spain started in 1976.

While that's certainly true of jet operations were there not package flights in sixties using propeller a/c?

I'm thinking kit like BMA Argonauts or the DC4/6 used by a variety of companies. Maybe not all the way to Spain either as I believe operators used coach transfers from Perpignan for the Northern Costa Brava due unsuitability of Spanish airfields north of Barcelona.

Cannot lay my hand on a copy ATM but I'm sure the old airport publicity handbook c1975 referred to withdrawal of 'sunshine' flights c1968/9 due to short runway, then 5,400 feet.

Anyone else remember?

Apart maybe from the odd one off charter, my recollection is that until Air Malta commenced charter flights at LBA, closely followed by Britannia Airways, LBA did not have packaged tour flights from LBA. I remember only too well my total frustration at this fact, having scoured the brochures looking in vain for anything out of LBA. I believe that the furthest you could go on a package at that time was Jersey, with Wallace Arnold buying seats on the regular summer services we had at the time.

How far back is that Heather?

I was an active enthusiast at LBA in 76 and remember ducking out of sixth form to walk from Aireborough GS to the airport and watching the inaugural BY flight depart. Don't remember Air Malta beating them to it though in terms of flights to Med.

Up until 1969 we lived in Horsforth, backing onto open farmland that was later Trinity and All Saints College. After inauguration of runway 15/33 the 33 approach/15 climbout passed behind the house. In recalling limited services to Med I'm thinking from then until 69/70 by which time passengers demanded jets.

I remember flying out of Yeadon in either 1961 or 1962 on a Dan Air DC3 to Ostend.
It was a package holiday booked through Arrowsmith Holidays in a 2 star hotel.
Remember suffering from sunstroke for a day or two and overdoing the Stella Artois!

I believe in the late 60's a BMA Viscount, that operated the GLA service during the week, operated charter flights on a weekend and some were to Spain/Majorca.

Thanks Seasider, that's the sort of operation I had in mind. One of my collection of Avion videos includes a BMA Argonaut departing 33 in the mid sixties and other photgraphs around that time show then charter operators including Air Ferry.

The line that Med IT destinations were only served post 76 first cropped up in the semi official history of LBA produced by (IIRC) a Yorkshire Post reporter and published around 84/5. It's repeated in the airports Wikipedia entry and seems to be taken as fact.

My opening quote about 'final withdrawal of regular inclusive tour flight to Med resorts' came in fact not from an old airport handbook but the publication 'UK and Eire Commercial Airports' (Airline Publications and Sales -1974). It's made in the context of a wider comment on the refusal of the then Local Government Ministers to sanction runway extension beyond 5400'. The rest of the content seem well researched so I'd guess that came form somebody knowledgeable at the time of publication - either the airport management or a well connected LBA enthusiast.

I can remember watching a Viscount getting ready for a flight to Palma, I think, on a Saturday evening, it was pouring with rain and I thought how marvellous to be flying from 'Yeadon' all the way to Majorca. I seem to think that it would be about 1964 when that happened.

Did anyone ever go on any of those Transun day trips that we used to have in the 90's? I went on one in November 1996 to Berlin Schoenefeld. We flew on an Air 2000 757 G-OOOT. It was a great laugh. Someone started humming the Dambusters music as we were on finals and soon the whole plane joined in. We were then split onto various coaches for the day. We were taken to Potsdam, Checkpoint Charlie, remnants of the Berlin Wall etc. I remember that when the tour guide told us that work on a building site that we were passing had been stopped the previous week due to finding an unexploded WWII British bomb, we all cheered!! I stood under the Brandenburg gates before looking round the Christmas markets. A great day out and I still managed to get back in my local for last orders.

"Seasider" has very kindly uploaded some pictures from Euro96 to the LBA Nostalgia Gallery

image.php

Aviaco MD88 by Seasider, hosted on Foruma4airports.com

image.php

TAT F28 by Seasider, hosted on Foruma4airports.com

image.php

Corsair B747 by Seasider, hosted on Foruma4airports.com

image.php

Oasis DC9 by Seasider, hosted on Foruma4airports.com

image.php

AOM/Cubana DC10 by Seasider, hosted on Foruma4airports.com

image.php

Iberia A300 by Seasider, hosted on Foruma4airports.com

Great pictures Seasider!!! :hatsoff:

I was actually thanking Seasider but Aviador deserves a mention too for re-posting.

The likes of Aviaco (I always associate that airline with the precursor DC 9s), Oasis and the Iberia A 300s certainly stir the memory juices, although I saw them at other airports.

I thought that Seasider and I had never met, but it is clear from those excellent photos that he was stood in the same place as me on that fabulous day - as I have similar photos of the Aviacos Oasis and TAT F28 taken in the same place. So perhaps we have!

I was there too! Which brings me to the question...

Does anybody remember Luigi the Italian who used to take photos from the corner there nearly daily. He once showed me some spectacular pictures he'd taken there. He disappeared like so many people do.

White Heather said:
I thought that Seasider and I had never met, but it is clear from those excellent photos that he was stood in the same place as me on that fabulous day - as I have similar photos of the Aviacos Oasis and TAT F28 taken in the same place. So perhaps we have!

White Heather - don't tell my wife, she thought I had gone to take pictures of the aeroplanes! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Were you there when the Air France Concorde came in in '86?

I've just uploaded part 1, part 2 to follow shortly....

image.php

Britannia Airways Boeing 737-200 by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

image.php

Avianco MD80 Euro96 by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

image.php

Avianco MD80 Euro96 by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

image.php

Air UK Leisure Boeing 737-400 by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

image.php

Air Provence Caravelle by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

image.php

Air Provence Caravelle by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

image.php

Air Lingus Fokker 50 by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

I think I must have been stood next to Seasider when I took the Avianco MD80 photo! Many more pictures to come, still uploading.....

Here's part 2, part 3 to follow.....

image.php

Concorde from Planetree Hill by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

image.php

Concorde landing runway 32 by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

image.php

Concorde by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

image.php

Corsair Boeing 747 by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

image.php

Iberia Boeing 727 and A300 by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

image.php

Spanair MD83 by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

image.php

Viva Air Boeing 737-300 by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

More in the gallery of these, more to follow shortly....

Last three for this evening, maybe some more tomorrow. Still one or two interesting ones to come. ;)

image.php

Air Europa Boeing 737-300 by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

image.php

Britannia Airways Boeing 767-200 by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

image.php

Ecu Air Tristar by Aviador, hosted on Forums4airports.com

Hope you enjoyed. :pleasantry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff!! Wonderful memories of these aircraft and carriers but unfortunately not at LBA in my case.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock