For no reason whatsoever other than to take our minds off the virus for a few seconds, the Airbus 320 EI-DIJ of Eirjet operated a sub charter on behalf of Astraeus AEU937P/951 from Dublin to Mahon on 02 September 2005.

View attachment 16450

Eirjet had up to four A320s to operate charter flights during their brief existence between December 2004 and October 2006. Their most infamous event was a crew mistake in March 2006 when an A320 operating on behalf of Ryanair from Liverpool to Derry landed at Ballykelly Airfield, some 3 miles short of the intended destination!

BH

(AEU) "Fly-Star" - Gone but not Forgotten!

Astraeus first appeared at Leeds/Bradford (LBA) operating a weekly charter flight to Malta in summer 2004 for tour operator Malta Bargains. Around the same period they leased a few aircraft to UK based airline Flybe and these also often appeared operating the daily Exeter - Leeds - Aberdeen round trip.

Astraeus had a single aircraft operation based at LBA for 2x years (2005 to 2006) operating a weekly charter flight programme on behalf of Thomas Cook Holidays with Boeing 737-300's before moving onto the newer fleet of Boeing 737-700's.
They teamed up with independent tour operators whom offered the first ever departures from LBA to Taba in Egypt, Banjul in Gambia and If I remember correctly to Funchal in Maderia. (Before Jet2)

The maybe other routes and tour operators whom I missed that they operated out of for LBA too.

View attachment 16453
View attachment 16454
View attachment 16452
View attachment 16451

Last edited:
It would be nice if Loganair could be in a position to commit something to LBA once the COVID19 outbreak is over. Most of you will understand the link there! However I think we will be reliant on T3 and maybe U2 to pick up on any slack left by BE. The sad thing is we are in for one hell of a long road to recovery after all this. Nice to see to some happy memories to put a smile on our faces though

They sem to be totally out of love with Lba !
do wonder what happened and the reason they left in the first place but no doubt we will see if they come back or not.

Air Southwest - Another Airline from LBA's past, but not forgotten

Air Southwest fleet of 5+ Dash 8-Q3000's started to first appear at Leeds/Bradford Airport from April 2005 operating double daily flights to Bristol and also a offered daily one-stop service to both Newquay & Plymouth.
At the peak of its operation (2007-2010) Air Southwest was running a daily direct service from LBA to Newquay and increased its Bristol route to 3x daily services along with its one-stop service to Plymouth.
Sadly the airline was sold to Eastern Airways in 2010, whom sadly run down the operation over a 12 month period and finally ceased ops as of 30 September 2011

View attachment 16459

View attachment 16460

View attachment 16458

Last edited:
Swe-fly - Gone but not Forgotten

Swe-fly started operations from Leeds/Bradford Airport in spring 2005 using a leased BAe 146 from Transwede, This aircraft was used to feed passengers over Stockholm/Skavsta to connect onto the airlines long hau flights to Lahore in Pakistan.

Due to passenger demand the feeder service was very quickly dropped and so the airlines own Boeing 767-200, SE-RBV started to appear at LBA, eventually flights started operating direct to Lahore without the Stockholm stop over.

The airline also operated into London Luton but sadly they didn't last very long and ceased all operations as of 2nd of September 2005.

View attachment 16462

View attachment 16463

View attachment 16464

View attachment 16465

Didn't they use a DC9 for awhile because the 146 wasn't big enough and then they brought the 767 in?

hi barnsley holiday
lovely photo did you take it? looks like a typical leeds summers day.
regards
sm

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock